Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Please...

Options
  • 25-12-2020 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi,

a friend suggested I sign up here and look for some advice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are in a serious spot of bother on xmas day.

My 4 year old son and his pal got into the hot press yesterday and went hell for leather turning cogs. middle of the night hot press soaked and water through the roof below. Today we have no hot water (cold water ok). Hot water, none and pump does not start when tap turned on.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, or an emergency plumber, happy to pay anyone here to get it solved or some help.

Niall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

*I can't add pics as I am new user apparently.

GyYWBI8

jqDjKkF

a5IoWgM

Sorted Wearb See new post

• Subscribers Posts: 41,058 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

All and any switches turned on?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    All and any switches turned on?

Thanks Syd, yes, pump is plugged in and lights appearing on various panels. Hot water is going to rads. Nothing from taps when turned on and pump doesnt start. Sorry, totally out of my depth here so limited on details.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Thinkingalot

Thanks Syd, yes, pump is plugged in and lights appearing on various panels. Hot water is going to rads. Nothing from taps when turned on and pump doesnt start. Sorry, totally out of my depth here so limited on details.

Where are you based? I could PM you the number of a plumber, but they're based in Cork and not sure if they're available during Christmas. But you could try.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The system is pressurised...
    They most likely released the water out of the vessel.
    Has the thermostat settings been changed too?

What bar is showing on vessel it should be 1 or more for to work right.....

Look up plumber parts UK on YouTube, the plumber lad is brilliant and has loads of videos that may help you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

I would:

Open all valves by turning anticlockwise except the small one which is blanked (drain).

One valve will be the fill valve (mains water in). You'll hear the boilers filling and the guage raising so stop at the required level (1 bar?)

Once the pressure is back up, reset boilers.

Best of luck. (This is my opinion only)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Nothing from taps when turned on and pump doesnt start.

To clarify: do you mean there's no hot water coming from the hot tap, or there's no water at all?

Apologies for no response, and a genuine thanks to all the responses and suggestions.

Bad aul day yesterday, the young lads burst a pipe by standing/jumping on in the hotpress. A sparks near to us came in and knew enough and we turned some of the power off in the house. Bottom ceiling beneath started bulging short after and gave in, plastering and wiring destroyed.

Emergency plumber came, pipe secured, few hundred euro less. place wrecked. Not the best xmas day but we had a decent meal and got over it, particularly after a few drinks.

Many thanks to you all for the suggestions. Sums up this year for most of us. Thanks. Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

-- "few hundred euro less" ah cmon its christmas,
    is it that bad ? --- that help and a few bob being refused is gone.
    would have done my best with over 40 years experience of life etc. and only cost if needed would be
    expensive parts "electric etc."
    YES here we are 2020

• Advertisement
Advertisement