Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import charges on Ebay.ie

Options
  • 25-12-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I won an auction yesterday from a UK seller. On payment i was charged an import charge of £26.43 for the item. I contacted the seller who said it was nothing to do with him and it must be Ebay putting on the charge.
    I contacted Ebay who said it was sold with Global Shipping Program and advised me to contact the custom department.
    Is that Irish customs that i have to contact please?
    Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭pummice

Sorry to hear your predicament. The "Global Shipping Programme" has been around for a few years on Ebay and is basically a scam to make money for Ebay "Partners". If I see an item being sold with global shipping program enabled I usually avoid it like the plague. Sellers who use it usually dont realise the hassle it causes for some buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

pummice wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your predicament. The "Global Shipping Programme" has been around for a few years on Ebay and is basically a scam to make money for Ebay "Partners". If I see an item being sold with global shipping program enabled I usually avoid it like the plague. Sellers who use it usually dont realise the hassle it causes for some buyers.

It's great if you're ordering something massive/heavy (woodworking/engineers vice), but other than that, just use address pal :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I haven't bought anything from the UK on ebay recently. Does anyone know how it's going to work out in the new year?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

pummice wrote: »

Some sellers will re-list the item with normal airmail shipping if you ask them. Particularly the US ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is that Irish customs that i have to contact please?

Nope. Ebay are being dopes. The changes only take effect on the first so they shouldnt be escrowing the vat yet.

Looks likely that this will change in the coming days. Ask the seller to cancel the sale and try again in a few weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Any idea how you find out how much the Global Shipping scam will cost you before you buy.

I've a few cheap items I want and from past experience it I suspect a ten pound item will cost me ten pounds delivery to Global Shipping and then another ten when Global shipping send it on. At the ebay.ie checkout I get no indication of how much Global shipping will be ripping me off.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement