Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking someone what they paid for something.

Options
  • 25-12-2020 4:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

Asking someone what they paid for big purchases like houses or cars etc. Rude?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

A lot Todd a lot would be my answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Too much is usually my answer

I shudder to think of how many quids I dropped on certain stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

As long as you preface with the phrase "D'you mind me asking you...", then don't wait to see if they mind and keep going to "...how much did it cost you?"
    It's only manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Depends on context.

After unwrapping your Christmas present and asking the person who gave it to you would definitely be considered rude.

Wake me up when it's all over.

What car do you drive and how much did you pay for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Depends on the conversation context. Are you asking because you're nosey or asking as a comparison to what you paid for similar or asking because you are in the market for similar.if you're just being nosey it is a little rude .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

What car do you drive and how much did you pay for it?

Me friend is in the online dating scene and this is a big red flag to him.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Me friend is in the online dating scene and this is a big red flag to him.

A cheap car or asking how much it cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

A cheap car or asking how much it cost?

When he asks her what she drives, and she says a micra which was bought for 900€, he’s outta there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

"I'm a squatter in the house and I stole the car parked outside, wanna know where the meat in the sandwich you're eating came from?"

Tesco.
    It came from tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Depends on who it is any your relationship. If it’s a family member or close friend I’d ask in a subtle way

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

For some reason, my mate gets asked this all the time when he’s out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The embarrassing thing about asking how much someone paid for a car is that they probably only know how much a month they are paying for it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's easy to find out what someone paid for their house is you're that bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

The property price register has the sale price for property since 2010

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/pprweb.nsf/PPR?OpenForm

If someone asked me how much I paid, I'd tell them. It's no longer a secret.

I was lucky to buy in 2012.

Had a local guy price me for a job. He mentioned I did well when I bought. He had obviously checked.

Equally, the houses either side of me sold 12 months and I checked how much they paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Made a pretty large purchase there recently. People seem to be obsessed with how much I paid. I have told close family and close friends, that's grand. Inlaws started asking straight up, I said that private. Cue discussion, when I had left of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's easy to find out what someone paid for their house is you're that bothered
    Yep PPR. I'm open to correction but think you might be waiting a while before price are logged on that. Certainly was the case when I bought my place but that was back in the infancy of PPR.
    I get the impression most people won't tell the truth if you were to ask them the price they paid for something, in particular something of the nature of a business, a house or a car for example. Like answering phone numbers they don't recognise its another thing that a lot of people seem to get all weird about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

An old work colleague, a bit eccentric and maybe wouldn’t be first to the bar is always at it...

I got a nice car, in 14, a 14D... “how much” was the first question, me or anybody off on holiday... “ great how much did it set you back ?”...

A new jacket... “ I like that, what did it set you back ?”

“ ohhh you went to Spar for a sambo, how much did that set you back, did you get the meal deal ?”.. “ ohh I’m going down to Centra it’s 40 cent cheaper”

I’m thinking “ you are driving return for return 8 minutes extra, wasting 40 minutes extra out of your week, and burning more juice and doing it for a sandwich that’s not quite as nice as the Spar which is just across the road, you can walk to it..

Obsessed by money...and his ability / enjoyment of not to spend it.... I once said this it to him in a jokey friendly way, he didn’t blink or take offense just wore it as a badge of honor... “a fool and their money are easily parted”

In time we saw other issues with him, he was half inching office stationary... not a just a handful of pens...it was a box of pens, highlighters, staples and notepads... his young fella was starting college and daughter at school so he thought he’d help himself to our stash that was for about 10 colleagues.... in the end a colleague said it to him... his reply was “ fûck it, sure they are under paying us, we can just order more”...

A colleague was in charge of the stationery order and he was getting shît for ordering too much stuff as he thought he needed to and did need to because more and more was disappearing... he reported the half incher, the manager admitted if he was to follow the correct procedures its termination as he’d taken maybe a hundred euros or more over two years... so it was swept under the carpet, a meeting was had where WE were advised in the strongest terms possible, company property stays on property... stationery... anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I would have no problem telling someone what I paid for a car, house etc but I have never told someone what i earn. Very bad manners to ask someone that, yet still people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The embarrassing thing about asking how much someone paid for a car is that they probably only know how much a month they are paying for it.

It's also embarrassing when people assume this to save their egos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Gruffalux wrote: »
    As long as you preface with the phrase "D'you mind me asking you...", then don't wait to see if they mind and keep going to "...how much did it cost you?"
    It's only manners.

I onece asked someone what they paid for a car exactly like that and they said " I do mind actually" and walked off. I thought it was most odd as I would be happy to tell anyone what I paid for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

A good friend of mine asks the cost of everything. Mostly by asking directly “what did that set you back?” or sometimes saying “that looks expensive?” and waiting expectantly. It drives me mad. I don’t have any issue with her knowing what I paid for my stuff, but the fact that she asks about everything is really irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The only interest I’d have in asking somebody what they paid for something would be if I was interested in purchasing said item myself... and it would be of use to me to know how much and where they got it....

This idol curiosity that people have as regards others spending their money, I don’t get it....

I’d never ask anybody what they paid for x product... car, holiday, washing machine, jacket,... I don’t care firstly and secondly it’s none of my business.. unless I had an idea I wanted one for myself...then I might say about a car... “ Ford Kuga is great, how you finding it, ok to deal and bargain with ? “.

The person has options of... “yes car Brady’s are first class, here is the sales guys card”... or “yes Brady’s great to deal with, car was 38 grand and he gave 36,500 for cash and 14000 for my own car, first class.”

Never gonna be... “ how much that cost you ? If I’m asked.. ahhh a fair price”.

People like that looking for info are generally the last to impart to you anything of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

If someone asks me how much I paid for the house I would tell them as it is available on that website if they can be bothered to look. Car depends on the person asking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

khalessi wrote: »
    If someone asks me how much I paid for the house I would tell them as it is available on that website if they can be bothered to look.
    Now that would be rude!

I have no problem telling people how much I paid for something or how much I earn etc when they ask. Depending on the person/conversation, it may be a very high-level figure or a very detailed one.

Advertisement