Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding international shipping and VAT

Options
  • 25-12-2020 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello all and Happy Christmas,

Just wondering if i purchase something in the Netherlands and pay vat on it, do i have to pay vat again on top of the shipping charges to ship it back to Ireland? Or is it just pay vat once and then pay the shipping costs?

My plan was to get it posted to a friend in NL who would then post it to Ireland using dutch post as the sellers do not send stuff to Ireland.

Thanks for any help, ill clarify if its hard to understand what i mean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Bagpipe wrote: »
    Hello all and Happy Christmas,

Just wondering if i purchase something in the Netherlands and pay vat on it, do i have to pay vat again on top of the shipping charges to ship it back to Ireland? Or is it just pay vat once and then pay the shipping costs?

Thanks for any help, ill clarify if its hard to understand what i mean

Netherlands are in the EU so VAT is already paid. You won't owe any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Bagpipe

Wheety wrote: »
    Netherlands are in the EU so VAT is already paid. You won't owe any more.

Okay so just the clarify, i pay cost of product + VAT, friend in NL will just have the shipping costs? And will i have any trouble with customs in Ireland for any reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

Bagpipe wrote: »
    Okay so just the clarify, i pay cost of product + VAT, friend in NL will just have the shipping costs? And will i have any trouble with customs in Ireland for any reason?

The Netherlands is in the EU so customs do not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Bagpipe

VG31 wrote: »
    The Netherlands is in the EU so customs do not apply.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I suggest you use dpd/gls - the postal system uses air cargo and with many flight restrictions it can take 2 weeks +

Dpd (and gls) use sea/ road and take 3 days from Netherlands and will be cheaper

• Advertisement
Advertisement