Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quieting a soil pipe

Options
  • 24-12-2020 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

I am doing some refurb work to quieten an internal soil pipe on a three storey. I am using a fancy pipe wrap (Tecsound FT55 AL) to silence the pipe as much as possible. Interesting stuff made from a felt, mass-loaded vinyl and foil. The pipe is also a massive source of draughts and cold bridging from the attic into the drylining which I hope the pipewrape and extra rockwool will reduce. The pipe is currently held in place with a steel round band. In some parts to timber studs and in others to a MHRV pipe. I understand this has to be altered to stop sound transfer. Are rubber-lined pipe clips recommended or could I just fix the steel round band over the spongy dense pipe wrap to decouple it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EVGR

Hi
    Did you find any solution? I would love to know.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

EVGR wrote: »
    Hi
    Did you find any solution? I would love to know.
    Thanks

First I ensured the pipe was not touching anything, which in hindsight was not a big issue.I covered the pipe with Tecsound FT55 AL. Very useful stuff when fitted flush to the pipe. Getting access to the pipe is the hard part. I am fitting rockwool over it and then noise block plasterboard. The FT55 AL would probably be enough on its own. It is good enough that it blocks most sound unless I am very close. It can vary house to house though. As far as I can see, noise can be created through wrong use of 90 degree bends and if that was the issue, I would deal with that before using pipe wrap. However that Tecsound FT55 AL seems to be the best insulation you can get and the only other option is to change to a soundproof pipe which was too invasive for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EVGR

Many thanks for your detailed answer!

Advertisement