Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House locks - opinions

Options
  • 23-12-2020 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I'm after buying a second hand house and want to change locks. Currently there are cylinder locks on patio, one on front door with additional yale lock, cylinder on conservatory and back door. Have been quoted 75 for Garrison brace locks and 30 for regular cylinder. Other locksmith has suggested 30 euro replacement cylinders and sash jammers as the Garrison brace expensive ones don't really offer added security - second locksmith actually said no lock is unbreakable. Nothing too much in the house but would like some level of security from lock system. What's the standard people have in houses. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I got bar locks and coded keys when I moved into my place. Different code on front and back doors.
    You should also get thumb screws on the inside of external doors for fire safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

If by cylinder locks you mean euro cylinder and you are worried about immediate danger from former key holders (and if you are worried about price), get "anti-bump" locks and change them yourself - nothing to it, youtube/google .... most difficult part is making sure you order the correct length.

Not much to changing a yale lock either.

For PVC/allu doors you'd be more concerned about the internal locking mechanism (5 point 3 point etc etc) - but doesnt sound like you are going to be changing them.

To be honest if they want to get in they would prob be more likely to break glass than break a door.
    Get it alarmed and make it obvious its alarmed, leave lights on when not there, dont leave easy access to side entrance etc etc- put them off from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭franglan

Thanks got sorted, changed cylinders myself and saved 180 euro from professional quotes. The best of boards - thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

franglan wrote: »
    Thanks got sorted, changed cylinders myself and saved 180 euro from professional quotes. The best of boards - thanks again.

Be careful with cheaper cylinder locks. They can be bumped or snapped without too much difficulty.. ABS type cylinder locks (anti bump, snap & drill ) they are a little expensive but give better security. You can have them keyed alike so one key can open all locks.

Advertisement