Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil boiler replacement

Options
  • 22-12-2020 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have an outdoors oil boiler (in a shed) - it looks really old, it was already installed when I bought the house. I don't want to wait until it gives up the ghost in the least convenient moment so I'm shopping around for a new one. It heats 12 radiators but the boiler/burner itself looks surprisingly small. What would be the cost of a new one with installation? I'm looking for a good price not a fancy brand. We are based in South Dublin.
    Should I switch to gas? I have all the gas pipes in the house already. The oil boiler prices seem to be double the gas boilers (no idea about the installation cost difference)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I am like a turkey voting for Christmas with this reply, but yes, switch to gas, seeing as you have it already.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vic_row_lagh

It's really confusing.. I just found an old Boards thread saying that it's better to stay with oil because it's cheaper... Should I switch to gas because of boiler cost or something else? tbh I don't mind ordering oil and it would be pretty hard to steal it from my tank (never happened in the [past 7 yrs)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

It's really confusing.. I just found an old Boards thread saying that it's better to stay with oil because it's cheaper... Should I switch to gas because of boiler cost or something else? tbh I don't mind ordering oil and it would be pretty hard to steal it from my tank (never happened in the [past 7 yrs)
    I think that over a period of years, mains gas would work out cheaper. Gas boilers also modulate, which adjusts output to the demand.

Nothing wrong with oil and I wouldnt replace a working oil boiler with gas, but in your situation, where you are going to replace anyway and you have gas pipes I'd go with gas.

However have an RGI look at it, there might be expensive upgrades needed to the supply pipe.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vic_row_lagh

Thanks! I think I have no other choice but to get someone in in Jan to have a look at this mess. The gas pipes look new new and my next door neighbours have mains gas heating but yeah you never know what extra work might be needed, no idea why previous owners refused to replace oil with gas.

Advertisement