Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby product awards do they mean anything?

Options
  • 22-12-2020 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Guys, I can't wrap my head around it, perhaps you can share some opinions on the subject.
    So I was recently looking to buy a travel system with a couple of bits altogether. As I was looking around I came across tonnes of so-called product awards for certain products. To me, it seems that there's a countless number of award givers, the same story with the wedding industry awards BTW.

Moreover, I've heard from one of my friends who works in a marketing agency in Dublin that some of them are basically sponsored stuff where if you pay you to get the award :confused:
    So what're your experiences with that?
    Do you believe in these awards and if so, which ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I bought a thermometer based on mother and baby awards, it turned out to be useless and expensive. But I did get some good ideas of useful products that I wasn’t aware of before.

If I need something I go by general reviews I find them more reliable!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I don't pay much attention to be honest.Usually reviews and tips from friends who are mothers are most helpful.Although what works for one person doesn't always work for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Siobhan82 wrote: »
    Guys, I can't wrap my head around it, perhaps you can share some opinions on the subject.
    So I was recently looking to buy a travel system with a couple of bits altogether. As I was looking around I came across tonnes of so-called product awards for certain products. To me, it seems that there's a countless number of award givers, the same story with the wedding industry awards BTW.

Moreover, I've heard from one of my friends who works in a marketing agency in Dublin that some of them are basically sponsored stuff where if you pay you to get the award :confused:
    So what're your experiences with that?
    Do you believe in these awards and if so, which ones?

Your friend is largely correct, while it's not confined to the two industries you mentioned, many awards are just sponsored hype to get press, maybe have a nice awards ceremony that they can network and price rig at etc

For big ticket items and even small ticket item, try speak to someone you know and trust, or a few of them and go with your gut. Cheapest isn't always the best, most expensive isn't always the best. Learn what people you trust have found useful, it might be something you have over looked like how the travel system mounts a footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Some awards do carry some credibility, but most others are just marketing guff and are a paid to enter... Others probably totally made up or owned by the company themselves.

Word of mouth and places like boards are the first places I'd use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is a shame but seems to be the same as all else, people with money pay for the products to get good awards and reviews. Like those badges restaurants have utter rubbish you can buy them.

Tis like the list of stuff you need for a newborn or toddlers, tis utter rubbish..

I used to work in a nursery and got to know a few things from there so was savvy enough. I did find Which very good for reviews, we sign up every now and again when we are looking at different options for things.. Like the car seats we picked ours from good reviews on that... There or asking other parents what they found good is great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement