Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching sockets on a steel workbench

Options
  • 22-12-2020 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Is it safe to attach metal clad sockets to a steel workbench?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Yuser.

Pat10 wrote: »
    Is it safe to attach metal clad sockets to a steel workbench?

It's ok just check everything,

fault loop impedance and rcd trip times

If it's a DIY install it can get dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pat10

Yuser. wrote: »
    It's ok just check everything,

fault loop impedance and rcd trip times

If it's a DIY install it can get dangerous

The existing socket is on the wall which means the cord from the angle grinder is lying across the bench so I was thinking of moving the socket to the side of the bench which would mean the cord is out of the way some bit. The existing socket was installed by an electrician including the rcd board. So just a case of relocating the socket without having to open anything as there is enough slack in the power supply.

Would a plastic socket be safer to attach because the bench is all steel?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Personally speaking I would consider using metal sockets, metal back boxes and steel conduit.

2011 wrote: »
    Personally speaking I would consider using metal sockets, metal back boxes and steel conduit.

Good point , anything surface should be in steel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Yuser. wrote: »
    Good point , anything surface should be in steel

Excuse the ignorance, but I'm curious, why is that? Just to be absolutely sure of earth?

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »

Is this because of the work environment ie to protect the wiring from a cut by the grinder etc?

km991148 wrote: »
    Excuse the ignorance, but I'm curious, why is that? Just to be absolutely sure of earth?

Protection against damage

Protects the user from making contact with live parts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Of course.. makes sense on a work bench :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As a general rule it is important to consider the environment that the electrical installation will be exposed to and design according to this. For example:

1) Enhanced mechanical protection is a must for most workshops.
    2) Are emergency stop buttons needed? This can often be a requirement when there is rotating machinery.
    3) Should emergency lighting be installed? This may be necessary if a power outage could endanger personnel in the workshop.
    4) Supplying each socket circuit from an RCBO may be best.
    5) Does it make sense to install 110V sockets ?
    6) Is a dedicated welders socket required? If using an electric arc welder can it be connected safely without an RCD?
    7) Ensure that the area has sufficient task lighting.
    8) If the area is dusty or wet select devices with suitable IP ratings especially the distribution board.
    9) Carefully place sockets to avoid trip hazards.
    10) Install light switches and other devices to prevent accidental damage.

I decided against attaching the sockets to the steel bench. I would be too worried that the bench could become live even though there is an rcd installed. I fixed 2 metal clad double sockets to a new location on the wall which means that the leads of the grinders are out of the way. Another reason is that the bench is free to be moved around. I also covered the electric wire coming down the wall to the sockets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement