Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change of ownership of car

Options
  • 21-12-2020 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

Greetings!

I recently bought a used car from a private seller on 11/12/2020.
    I am a private buyer and filled, signed the New Owners section in the Vehicle Registration Certificate. I took the pic of the complete Vehicle Registration Certificate from the seller.
    The seller told me he would post the document for change of ownership.

I haven't received my new Vehicle Registration Certificate yet.
    So, I checked the status in motortax[dot]ie. It shows the status as

Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Purchased by a Dealer on: 16/12/2020
    Notified on: 16/12/2020

Vehicle Registration Certificate
    No Vehicle Registration Certificate issued in the last: 3months

Could someone clarify what is this status means to me as a buyer? I am not a dealer but why the status shows as Dealer. I am confused.

I sent an email to MotorTax department. They replied saying "We are processing change of ownership received in our office on the 19th December, up to that date we have not received any change of ownership for this vehicle, please contact the seller."

I tried to reach the seller but he is not picking the call.
    Should I wait for 1 more week or should I go to seller directly and check with him.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mohan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d imagine the dealer who traded the car in and sold it to the trader that sold it to you was a bit behind on their paperwork, which would explain why the date is after the date you bought the car.

I assume the name on the registration certificate didn’t match the name of the seller

Wouldn’t be unusual for a change of ownership to take this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mohanavelu

Hi,

Yes the seller said the car belongs to his sister and he was selling on her behalf.
    Seller name is different from the name of the owner on the registration certificate.
    So you mean the seller is actually a trader?

Could you please tell me what I need to do now? I am new to Ireland and I don't understand this process. I am really worried.

Thanks,
    Mohan

Mohanavelu wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes the seller said the car belongs to his sister and he was selling on her behalf.
    Seller name is different from the name of the owner on the registration certificate.
    So you mean the seller is actually a trader?

Could you please tell me what I need to do now? I am new to Ireland and I don't understand this process. I am really worried.

Thanks,
    Mohan
    Oldest trick in the book. Would have bought it from the garage then pretended to sell it for his imaginary sister so that he doesn’t have to pay income tax/give warranty like a garage would.
    Not a massive deal, so don’t panic too much.

If there’s a change of ownership received on the 19th, that’s yours.

Thank you very much for your words.

As per reply from MotorTax, "We are processing change of ownership received in our office on the 19th December, up to that date we have not received any change of ownership for this vehicle, please contact the seller".

So as per this statement, I understand, they haven't received yet.

In this case, should I wait for another 1-2 weeks so that I will receive my certificate or should go to the trader directly and ask him?

Thanks,
    Mohan

Do you know the serial number on the registration certificate? It’s in the top corner of the back of it

Does the VIN number on the actual car match the certificate also?

• Advertisement

Hi,

Yes I have serial number of registration certificate.
    Yes, the VIN number on the car matches the VIN/Chassis number on the certificate.

Thanks,
    Mohan

I don’t think there’s a problem here so. Just hold tight for the change of ownership

Try logging into motortax.ie using the last 6 digits of the certificate serial number. It may give you some additional info.

Sure, I can do that.
    Thanks A Million for your help.

Advertisement