Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overhead lines, which is neutral?

Options
  • 21-12-2020 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

When you see 4 overhead lines running pole to pole, which wire is the neutral and which are the 3 phases? I'm guessing the neutral is either the top or the bottom wire.

Also then how do they decide which phase to which house? Is it every third house 1,2,3 and then repeat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

alan4cult wrote: »
    When you see 4 overhead lines running pole to pole, which wire is the neutral and which are the 3 phases? I'm guessing the neutral is either the top or the bottom wire.

Also then how do they decide which phase to which house? Is it every third house 1,2,3 and then repeat?

Goes Neutral
    R-phase
    S-phase
    T-phase

Top to bottom. Of theres a fifth wire on the bottom then thats a switch wire for public lighting. The switch wire is mainly redundant these days due to photocells on each light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Yuser.

sparcocars wrote: »
    Goes Neutral
    R-phase
    S-phase
    T-phase

Top to bottom. Of theres a fifth wire on the bottom then thats a switch wire for public lighting. The switch wire is mainly redundant these days due to photocells on each light.

Always wondered about the public lighting , how those lights all came on at the same time

The switch wire wouldn't be that common or I would have noticed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Yuser. wrote: »
    Always wondered about the public lighting , how those lights all came on at the same time

Used to be, but not really any more.
    Photocells are very accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yuser. wrote: »

There tends to be a sensor every 10 lights or so, certainly on older ones. It's on top of the fitting, so it isn't necessarily very visible.

Some look a bit like this: https://www.screwfix.ie/p/ced-black-body-opal-head-photocell-standalone-sensor/980CG?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItcim8JLg7QIVz-3tCh01dw4cEAQYASABEgJmDPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container with a bottom bracket and are about the size of you fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

The reason for Neutral being on top is if it breaks will cause a short across the phases and not leave a house with a broken neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

Also as the neutral is earthed it would provide a degree of lightening protection, relative to a strike on one of the phases.

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

My pole only has 2 high voltage wires

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Dunfyy wrote: »
    My pole only has 2 high voltage wires

Most likely a single phase and neutral - low voltage.

Advertisement