Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless broadband provider issue.

Options
  • 21-12-2020 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

i hope i describe my issue correctly....and thanks in advance for any replies.

we have rural broadband via a local company...small antenna on roof via line of sight to a mast maybe 15 miles away.

the antenna cable comes inside to what i think is referred to as an IDU...small black powered box...which has ethernet out to my router.

we get constant internet down and are in habit of powering router / idu down for 30 secs and restart and all is fine......sometimes this may not happen for a week...sometimes numerous times a day....no pattern to it.

but...i noticed when it happens...if i disconnect the cable from outdoor antenna to the isp box for just 10 secs, put it back...internet is back up in 30 seconds.

would my router (working on a channel not congested, with maybe 10-12 devices connected) have an influence on this issue occuring...as it appears to be between isp box and antenna ?

apologies if i worded that badly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The antenna is presumably powered by the IDU, when you unplug it you're cycling the antenna which is much quicker than waiting for the router to boot up etc.

If your connection isn't stable your ISP should be fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

ED E wrote: »
    The antenna is presumably powered by the IDU, when you unplug it you're cycling the antenna which is much quicker than waiting for the router to boot up etc.

If your connection isn't stable your ISP should be fixing it.

yea...its an age old problem here as they said they remotely checked it and its fine.
    however, after a call again this morning...they may be replacing the idu for us.

could the router have any influence over that issue ?

Advertisement