Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 10.30 alcohol rule just enables alcoholics

Options
  • 21-12-2020 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭

I'm one of Leos hard workers who gets up in the morning, and like to shop early too.

I cant buy wine for Xmas until after 10.30 because of alcoholics who dont even get out of bed until the afternoon anyway.

Another Irish solution.
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I thought ot was to do with removing temptation from those on their way to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Its to stop the postman/postmadam getting totally ossified on their rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And you don't go home early enough to buy it in the evening? I think you should look at your choice of career.

My aunt is usually one for a lie in till midday, so one year she planned to be up early for her Christmas shop and we heard all about the great plan, she was so annoyed when she got to the drinks aisle and realised she couldn't buy anything, and would have to make a second trip.

Shouldn't you be working now, not shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Only an alcoholic would have an issue with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Shouldn't you be working now, not shopping?

Some people need a cup of coffee in the morning, some people need to have a whinge online about the dole or lefties

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'm one of Leos hard workers who gets up in the morning, and like to shop early too.

I cant buy wine for Xmas until after 10.30 because of alcoholics who dont even get out of bed until the afternoon anyway.

Another Irish solution.
    Cheers!

We used to run a off-licence and the alcoholics would be up and waiting for us at 10:30 when we opened.

It's not to benefit the alcoholics, it's to benefit the publicans who also can't open until 10:30.

Another Irish solution.
    Cheers!

You can buy in cash and carry at any time. To register as a customer with Musgraves all you need is a business name, but the vat number is optional.

Sports and social at work worked out a deal with Musgraves to allow us access and a 20euro off voucher. Got 6 bottles of decent wine, 2 cases of craft beer and a decent bottle of whiskey on Sunday morning at 9am. Was only worth it with the extra 20 euro however as its not particularly cheap once the vat is added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Ironically, it would be better to ban sales after 10.30am to discourage the late sleepers from drinking.

Some people need a cup of coffee in the morning, some people need to have a whinge online about the dole or lefties

You're the first person to bring up dole or lefties!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

realistically we should be able to sell alcohol 24x7 like any reasonable functioning country , but that would involve having a hard conversation about the behaviours of people in the welfare class that we're just not ready to have yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Its to stop the postman/postmadam getting totally ossified on their rounds.

If I was an alcoholic postman I'd buy booze the night before.

I dont see how a 10.30am opening time solves that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Another Irish solution.
    Cheers!

I agree. Preventing access to alcohol only enables alcoholics. It makes things much easier for them. Imagine how much more difficult for them things would be if they could buy it at 9am

And disadvantages the non-alchos......you know normal people who have to endure 30 minutes extra of the shakes after their last bottle of white spirits runs out at 10am

Also, just to clarify that the rumours that the below is CCTV of the OP are unfounded.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You're the first person to bring up dole or lefties!

Oh yes of course, I'm sure having a go at people on the dole was the last thing on your mind when you decided to go on about people getting up in the early afternoon. First time you made a post without mentioning them so, a Boards Christmas Miracle

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Another Irish solution.
    Cheers!

First world problem award of the week.

Opens Envelope.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It's nothing to do with welfare class. It's law in Ireland that if a bartender serves a drunk person it's a 1500 euro fine. When was the last time that happened? Get the ****in police to do their job. Every bar in my town (biggest town in Cork) are open till 3 or 4 in the morning every Saturday night. Pre Covid obviously. The whole town knows this so either way they're either dumb or lazy. Either way they shouldn't be a police officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

If I was an alcoholic postman I'd buy booze the night before.

I dont see how a 10.30am opening time solves that problem.

Alcoholic Postmen/postmadams are notoriously unorganised.

Oh yes of course, I'm sure having a go at people on the dole was the last thing on your mind when you decided to go on about people getting up in the early afternoon. First time you made a post without mentioning them so, a Boards Christmas Miracle

Why are you having a go at me?

Were you not a moderator, your post would be worthy of a warning, as its off topic and trolling.

I'm questioning the effectiveness of a law which prevent people from buying a product before 1030 am.

There has been no published reduction in alcohol consumption in Irealnd due to this law.

So why have it?

Boggles wrote: »

Opens Envelope.....

That's hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Another Irish solution.
    Cheers!

It's hardly a new thing, the hours are proscribed in the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1960. This hasn't just been brought in in the last few years to deal with an alcohol problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

my uncle used to have a pub
    the alchos would be knocking on their house door on christmas morning and good friday looking for drink

realistically we should be able to sell alcohol 24x7 like any reasonable functioning country , but that would involve having a hard conversation about the behaviours of people

I was shocked to be in agreement with you for once... oh wait there it is
    ...in the welfare class that we're just not ready to have yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I agree with the OP.

Its a pain in the hole.

I like to do my food shopping first thing at 9am on a Sunday morning. I do not drink, but will often need a bottle of wine to go into the chicken or the lamb recipe.

I have to go back out later in the day just to buy a bottle of wine, which coincidentally makes me look like an alcoholic. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Tzardine wrote: »
    I agree with the OP.

Its a pain in the hole.

I like to do my food shopping first thing at 9am on a Sunday morning. I do not drink, but will often need a bottle of wine to go into the chicken or the lamb recipe.

I have to go back out later in the day just to buy a bottle of wine, which coincidentally makes me look like an alcoholic. :pac:

And on Sunday it's even worse. You can't buy drink until 12.30.

elperello wrote: »
    And on Sunday it's even worse. You can't buy drink until 12.30.

Priest gives out a lashing of wine before 12:30 on a sunday and no one says anything.

Double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Priest gives out a lashing of wine before 12:30 on a sunday and no one says anything.

Double standards.

In fairness there's nothing stopping you from giving wine to anyone in your house before 12.30 on a Sunday either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Another Irish solution.
    Cheers!

The 10pm thing is worse again.

Remember when it came in and I was doing crazy hours. After a 14 hour day couldn't go to a shop and buy a fecking beer to relax with.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Could I get the name of your local church please?

Praise Jesus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Boggles wrote: »

Opens Envelope.....

Have you seen the crowds out shopping this week? Feck going in any time after 9:30am

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement