Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Tusla placed a child in abusive father's custody?

Options
  • 20-12-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭

This was published in The Irish Times yesterday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/parenting/we-don-t-put-mothers-in-laundries-any-more-but-we-are-locking-them-into-a-bureaucracy-1.4439580?fbclid=IwAR12--ICqC11i6wQEMqpzZbEKqjTuQZMRhJRtlpBcQJIC1DJreN85qZscF8

In 2018, a four-year-old boy, Timothy, told his mother,Tara, that his father was 'doing bad things' to him.

However, Tusla decided that the allegations were not credible and the boy was transferred to his father's custody.

Assessors at St Clare's unit in Temple St. hospital found the allegations "not credible".

Such a finding is not unusual. Children Health Ireland (CHI), which manages children’s healthcare, has said that since 2016 “credible accounts [were] provided” in just 36 per cent of child sexual abuse allegations assessed at St Clare’s.

This does not mean in two-thirds of cases no abuse took place. There could be other reasons for a “credible account not provided” finding, CHI clarified, including the child’s non-engagement. Responsibility for concluding whether child sexual abuse has happened lies with Tusla, which “selects two categories of conclusion . . . founded or unfounded”.
    In 2019 Timothy was interviewed by a social worker compiling a report on his welfare, for a family law court adjudicating on access arrangements.

That report notes Timothy talks about “bad things Daddy did to me” but says he was “unable to put any timeline or context” on events. It recommends play therapy and notes that Tara is “of the opinion that the social worker has become biased” against her. Tara was told, she says, to stop encouraging Timothy “to talk about the bad things”.

Instead, Tara says, her own mental health became the focus. Psychiatric assessments were requested, the first of which says Tara “did not evidence any signs of a mood or thought disorder”. In a final assessment the doctor says: “I cannot detect any psychiatric or psychological problems. She is of sound mind . . . She is a capable mother concerned for her son.”

Tusla, however, recommended Timothy be placed in his father’s custody, and earlier this year custody was transferred.

“I am beyond devastated,” says Tara, who believes she has “been painted as this woman who is mad and evil when I have done nothing but believe my son. Only that I have an amazing partner, who believes Timothy too and supports me, I would be above in the graveyard.”

How could Tusla possibly know that the accusations made against the boy's father are not true?

From what I've read, I fear that Tusla is taking chances with the child's safety.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

Yes, it's a horrific case. Money talks I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How could Tusla possibly know that the accusations made against the boy's father are not true?

From what I've read, I fear that Tusla is taking chances with the child's safety.

One might conclude that there is more to the story than meets the eye.

How often does it happen in "normal circumstances" that a child would be taken from a mother and full custody given to a father? i.e. average man and average woman situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭political analyst

How often does it happen in "normal circumstances" that a child would be taken from a mother and full custody given to a father? i.e. average man and average woman situation.

Fair point.

I'm aware of that other widely-reported story for which the article's author is infamous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

What boggles my mind is the number of kids that are getting knocked around that nobody knows about.

Another thing, we used to turn a blind eye to child abuse is this country to such a point that it was a societal issue. This issue, and it's handling, shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

If you are a man in this country, and many others for that matter, you have to be married to the female equivalent of an alcoholic hitler and myra hindley cross to win full custody of your own children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭political analyst

What boggles my mind is the number of kids that are getting knocked around that nobody knows about.

Another thing, we used to turn a blind eye to child abuse is this country to such a point that it was a societal issue. This issue, and it's handling, shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

Do you mean seeing the abuse take place and not doing anything about it or hearing allegations of abuse and not doing anything because it was one's word against another's?

Advertisement