Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How should I maintain a Firebire Enviromax boiler

Options
  • 20-12-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Wearb wrote: »
    Even the Enviromax is fine if set up correctly, but they must be serviced annually. I know that's the recommendation for all boilers, but condensing boilers reall need looking after.

Rather than hijacking another thread I thought I'd start a new one, prompted by the quote above.

I've had to take over the maintenance of my Firebird Enviromax and I've been studying it and its Riello RBD2.2 burner for the past few weeks and recently cleaned the boiler, replaced the burner nozzle as a preventative maintenance measure and checked the pump pressure.

What maintenance should be done on a regular basis to really look after it properly?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I don't understand what you mean by you've had to take over it's maintainence. It should only be done by a service tech with proper equipment and training.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I don't understand what you mean by you've had to take over it's maintainence. It should only be done by a service tech with proper equipment and training.

Yes I know that but it's impossible to get one.

Any advice on maintaining it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056908433

Some good reading above.
    But as I said......

Surely if you tried during the summer you'd get someone. You can't be living in an area where no boilers get a proper service.
    Anyway have a read of the above.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056908433

Some good reading above.
    But as I said......

Surely if you tried during the summer you'd get someone. You can't be living in an area where no boilers get a proper service.
    Anyway have a read of the above.

Thank you for that, I'll certainly have a read. I live a couple of kms outside a main Wicklow town and I've been trying, unsuccessfully, since August, to have it serviced by an Oftec tecnician. Was more or less the same story last year.

I can relate my tale of frustration if you like but it might be boring :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

pop in to your local plumbing suppliers

im sure they will know of somebody in your area thats good and reliable

or you could call grant eng in birr the makers of grant boilers they will know of a good engineer in your area

even if your boiler isnt a grant the lads in technical will still help you out there a sound bunch

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »

or you could call grant eng in birr the makers of grant boilers they will know of a good engineer in your area

even if your boiler isnt a grant the lads in technical will still help you out there a sound bunch

Ok, thanks. I'll try Grant tomorrow because the Firebird recommended techs are a waste of time. It'll be interesting to see if Grant recommends the same techs :D

what problems exactly are you encountering with the locals

jesus its an oil boiler not the hardest boiler in the world to service and set up properly

what problems exactly are you encountering with the locals

jesus its an oil boiler not the hardest boiler in the world to service and set up properly

Get ready to be bored... ;)

Boiler installed in 2010. I asked Firebird for recommendation of technicians in my area and I picked the one closest to me (tech #1). He was great and maintained it until 2016. In 2017 I couldn't contact him and eventually discovered that he had given up and was now driving a truck.

Got on to Firebird again and got more recommendations. I picked the one closest to me (tech #2) and he was great (at that time) and even came out to a breakdown about 4 months after he serviced it and fixed it for free stating that it shouldn't have happened. I was delighted and said to myself "we'll keep that lad". The next year he simply wouldn't come. He promised and promised and promised. He made appointments with me but never came.

I contacted another guy (tech #3) further away and he charged accordingly and serviced it once. He came back again once very promptly to a breakdown and replaced the oil pump. This year (2020) I rang him (tech #3) in August and asked him to do the annual service and he said he'd be out sometime over the following two weeks. He didn't arrive. Rang him again and promised to come within two weeks. He didn't arrive. Third time I rang he promised to "put me in his book" and would be out to me within two weeks. He never arrived.

I then decided to give tech #2 a ring and he said, on a Friday, that he would be with me on the following Monday. He never arrived. I rang him soon after and he blamed his van but he would be out to me the following Monday. He never arrived. Once again I rang him and he once again blamed his van and promised to be with me the following Monday. He never arrived. I persevered and rang him and asked him straight out, "Xxxxxxx, am I wasting my time asking you to service my boiler"? and he answered, "No, no, Xxxx I promise you, you're not. I'll be out to you as soon as I can". That was about six weeks ago. He has not contacted me since. Mind you, neither did tech #3.

These techs were all recommended by Firebird and all Oftec registered!!

Hence, I took it over myself.

Next thing I'm going to do is clean out the condensate trap. It's plastic. I haven't done it before and I'm wondering if they usually screw off easily? I'm assuming it was cleaned out at the last service but I don't want to go at it unless I can quickly get a replacement if it breaks or snaps due to it having become brittle or similar.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

condensate_trap.jpg

Ok, thanks. I'll try Grant tomorrow because the Firebird recommended techs are a waste of time. It'll be interesting to see if Grant recommends the same techs :D

I contacted Grant this morning by email and got a reply with just one recommendation.

Unfortunately, they recommended tech #2 (mentioned in my post above).

• Advertisement

I'll also be servicing the filter on the fuel line. Is there an element in this housing? If so, are replacements easily obtained?

oil_filter.jpg

I'll also be servicing the filter on the fuel line. Is there an element in this housing? If so, are replacements easily obtained?

oil_filter.jpg

is this outside the boiler case

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Next thing I'm going to do is clean out the condensate trap. It's plastic. I haven't done it before and I'm wondering if they usually screw off easily? I'm assuming it was cleaned out at the last service but I don't want to go at it unless I can quickly get a replacement if it breaks or snaps due to it having become brittle or similar.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

There is a stainless steel upgrade to replace the plastic condensate trap.

Order one before you go at the existing one.

is this outside the boiler case

Yes, it's outside. Here's a better photo. You can see it on the floor....

boiler.jpg

elperello wrote: »

Great. Thank you very much for that information.

Yes, it's outside. Here's a better photo. You can see it on the floor....

boiler.jpg

ah thats fine for some reason i was thinking it was a heatpac / outdoor boiler

a bit of old age and monday

oh and celebrating the all ireland

ps dont tell wearb

Old age???? Haha, I know all about that.

So, do you know if there's a filter element in that housing or how does it filter?

filter element in the housing that usually doesnt need replacing

does not come as a spare part anyway as complete unit is only about a tenner

just be careful as it seals to bowl with a rubber o ring you could drop it or pinch it replacing bowl

filter element in the housing that usually doesnt need replacing

does not come as a spare part anyway as complete unit is only about a tenner

just be careful as it seals to bowl with a rubber o ring you could drop it or pinch it replacing bowl

Would I be as well off getting one of these....

https://www.plumbingproducts.ie/consumables/5478-in-line-oil-tank-filter-38-fxf-metal-bowl-kerosene-oil-diesel.html

...and installing it? It's not giving me a problem, it would just be preventative maintenance. I never maintained it and it wouldn't be part of a boiler service so it's been untouched for a long time.

elperello wrote: »

Stainless steel replacement on the way from Firebird. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement