Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rig-out as bride

• 20-12-2020 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

so myself and himself are getting married in April - registry office, so it'll be me, him and 6 others...........looks like we might have a 25 person limit on the meal aswell, so all 'round a bit of a non-event...........

looking for ideas of what to wear - I'll be 46 - it'll by my first marriage, his second.........so I don't think the traditional dress will be appropriate..........I want something nice, but wouldn't mind wearing it again..........I tend to wear a lot of skater style dresses, I'm 5'2 so a long dress would look like I'm playing dress up - hitting around a size 10 ............would welcome ideas please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Check out The Pretty Dress company.

I had mine from there. The quality was fab and have bought from them since.

Certainly can be worn again too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Musefan wrote: »
    Check out The Pretty Dress company.

I had mine from there. The quality was fab and have bought from them since.

Certainly can be worn again too.

Thanks - I saw Ruth (of Eamonn and Ruth) wearing a dress from there lately - are they true to size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

cjmcork wrote: »
    Thanks - I saw Ruth (of Eamonn and Ruth) wearing a dress from there lately - are they true to size?

Yes, for sure. I took mine to the zip yard for some minor changes after losing some weight & also had it taken up slightly out of personal preference.

The Hepburn & Myla styles make lovely wedding dresses

bee06 wrote: »

how is their sizing - a lot of the models are missing things like.......hips:p

• Advertisement

Musefan wrote: »
    Yes, for sure. I took mine to the zip yard for some minor changes after losing some weight & also had it taken up slightly out of personal preference.

The Hepburn & Myla styles make lovely wedding dresses

fab - thanks, I'd definitely get them taken up a small bit - I'd feel swamped in a dress longer than my knee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

Have a look at dig for victory online or Instagram. If you like the skater style you might like their vintage style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

how is their sizing - a lot of the models are missing things like.......hips:p

I don’t know. I don’t have any of their dresses. Also don’t have any hips so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

so myself and himself are getting married in April - registry office, so it'll be me, him and 6 others...........looks like we might have a 25 person limit on the meal aswell, so all 'round a bit of a non-event...........

looking for ideas of what to wear - I'll be 46 - it'll by my first marriage, his second.........so I don't think the traditional dress will be appropriate..........I want something nice, but wouldn't mind wearing it again..........I tend to wear a lot of skater style dresses, I'm 5'2 so a long dress would look like I'm playing dress up - hitting around a size 10 ............would welcome ideas please

Congratulations, not a non-event. You are getting married! Fab.

I am shorter than you, 5ft. I thought I would do skater style too as they suit me but then as they are already in my wardrobe why would I wear it on my Wedding day? I went with a Bridesmaids dress which was actually full length and it didn't make me look too short. It was rose gold and extremely comfortable.

Don't go skater if that is what you normally wear. It is your Wedding day. Make sure you are comfortable but you also have to be fabulous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

whats a rig out ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

s8n wrote: »
    whats a rig out ?

Outfit/dress

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'll be 46 when getting married (and not a tall person either) and will be wearing a full length dress from a bridal shop so don't rule yourself out of those just on age. It's a different story if they just aren't your personal style - go for what you would love to wear.

If you normally go for a skater style and don't want full length then a tea-length dress might be something you'd feel comfortable but also fabulous and elegant in? Also a skirt that style gives more volume at hip level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Neyite wrote: »
    If you normally go for a skater style and don't want full length then a tea-length dress might be something you'd feel comfortable but also fabulous and elegant in? Also a skirt that style gives more volume at hip level.

I'm 5 foot 2 and have opted for tea length! I knew all along that this is what I wanted, even though I did try on a lot of full length dresses. I just wouldn't feel comfortable in a full length dress though, because I never wear them and think they drown me out.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

woodchuck wrote: »
    I'm 5 foot 2 and have opted for tea length! I knew all along that this is what I wanted, even though I did try on a lot of full length dresses. I just wouldn't feel comfortable in a full length dress though, because I never wear them and think they drown me out.

I love tea-length and if I hadn't already picked my dress it would be in the running for the big day. We are having a night-before get together at ours and I'll be wearing a tea-length bardot style to that. They are so flattering!

Definitely don't let let age get in the way of wearing what you want OP. I will be a few months shy of 40 when I get married and felt like I would be too old for a wedding gown. In the end I got one with a train! Also I'm only 5'4.
    What matters most is what you are comfortable in.

I had a look at the site linked above and some of the dresses are gorgeous. Also have a look at https://www.needleandthread.com
    Most of their dresses are full length but they have some shorter styles and are beautiful. Budget depending of course.

OP back folks - got me a gúna - tea length! a dress I spotted on a dressmaker's insta page back in August - turns out she only made it for photoshoots, anyway, it's mine in April (wedding is last week in April) - happy days - it's been on my phone since August as the type of dress I'd love......!!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Can I ask who the dressmaker was?

Can I ask who the dressmaker was?

Anna owns her own shop in Midleton in Cork: https://mcmillan.ie/ - she's also on Facebook and Instagram

Advertisement