Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker hood not extracting air

• 20-12-2020 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our cooker hood is no longer extracting air. The power light comes on, bulbs work and the fan itself is moving freely, but there's just no air being sucked out.

Had a look where the extractor kicks out the air at the side of the house and can't see anything in there blocking it.

Any idea what this could be? We have terrible luck here with electricians, both in trying to get one to come out to the house and then also with them actually coming back to do the work quoted for. Also, it doesn't seem to be an electrical issue as everything is working in that grad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

If the motor is running and it has its different speeds then there is something obstructing it, check that the flaps are free and can open, also check if there is a gauze filter attached to the vent outside if so it may be clogged with grease , also check it with the filters removed . I had one recently with the same problem it turned out to be ivy had grown up around the flaps preventing them from opening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

If the motor is running and it has its different speeds then there is something obstructing it, check that the flaps are free and can open, also check if there is a gauze filter attached to the vent outside if so it may be clogged with grease , also check it with the filters removed . I had one recently with the same problem it turned out to be ivy had grown up around the flaps preventing them from opening

The flaps can open freely and can't see anything in there, nothing blocking it and can't see any gauze.

Once we opened it up we realised there was only 1 charcoal filter instead of 2 (think there should be one on each side) and the one that is there is very dirty and needs changing. But even after removing that and then running it, there was no air movement or noise of the air being pulled through.

Perhaps we should try removing the whole hood and see if there is anything there causing a blockage. Although, I was stood next to it a couple of days ago and it was very windy and I could hear the wind and flaps moving even though I was inside, which might suggest there is nothing blocking it.

Thank you for the help, not ideal to have it broken for all the Christmas cooking.

Advertisement