Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil boiler damaged

Options
  • 20-12-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hey
    We ve noticed our firebird hasnt been heating the radiators properly for a few weeks so I took the cover off to find the "over flow" flex has been burnt off its connection.

I ll try up load photos.

Looking for a service engineer now but wanted to ask here what could cause something like this to happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

Crispy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Often caused by lack of annual servicing, where the trap becomes clogged and then this happens.

Boiler is often in a bad state inside after such an occurrence, though you could be lucky. Won't know until it's opened up.

Btw. That's the condensate trap. The newer ones are much more robust.
    It's a Firebird Enviromax boiler if repair guy asks.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭John.G

Did I read on here that F.bird were replacing these with steel condensate traps (with free supply of trap??)

Thanks lads, hopefully have a guy coming tomorrow to replace the trap with a metal one and service.

Thought we would have just the electric heaters and stove for Xmas.

• Advertisement

John.G wrote: »
    Did I read on here that F.bird were replacing these with steel condensate traps (with free supply of trap??)

I've paid for ones that I got.
    Maybe I don't know the right people :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭John.G

You don't need to know the right people when you have a Firebird like mine, a 15 year old non condensing bullet proof boiler.

John.G wrote: »
    You don't need to know the right people when you have a Firebird like mine, a 15 year old non condensing bullet proof boiler.

I've a 26 year old Grant.

Even the Enviromax is fine if set up correctly, but they must be serviced annually. I know that's the recommendation for all boilers, but condensing boilers reall need looking after.

Advertisement