Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Cat5e cabling question

Options
  • 20-12-2020 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi all - looking for some assistance/advice please. House wired with Cat5e - VM router downstairs and trying to connect (via Cat5e) to my new switch in attic.I'm crimping in attic myself. Have a tester and used on standalone cable to test it - 8 green lights so it works.

When I test my first cable - Pins 1-7 green but not Pin 8. Could be my crimping technique - but I am using a proper crimping tool and being cautious. Do I need to ensure I'm matching the A/B standard the electrician used in internal cabling - and how can I find out what is currently behind the faceplates (if that matters ??).

This should be simple !!. Maybe I just am.

Thanks, K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MDI/X means the standard you use doesnt really matter a huge amount, most devices will just work it out.

Open a faceplate and check. Sparks are known to do some really stupid stuff at times with networking. You need to get a grasp on what theyve done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Once your cable is wired to either A or B standar at both ends of that cable you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Raven_k42 wrote: »

. Could be my crimping technique..

Have you a little patch panel (or sockets) in the attic ?

If you are crimping plugs to solid cable there are a few kinds of plugs

https://imgur.com/a/NsamOzX

Advertisement