Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours

Options
  • 19-12-2020 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

I moved to a new home recently and unfortunately I have discovered the neighbours do not allow me peaceful enjoyment of my home due to the racket they and their visitors cause into the early hours of the morning. I have been told by other neighbours this is why former owner of my house moved out and there have been issues with these neighbours for 2 years. Needless to say I am very upset and the first thing I want to do is sell, which I know is a knee jerk reaction. Not asking for legal advice just if you have experience of similar and how to handle it. The neighbours in question are renting the house. I presume it would be useful to try and contact the Landlord.

Input welcome.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Wait till they finish partying in the early hours of the morning.. aka just when you are getting ready for work (a term they probably no nothing about) and turn on some really loud drum n bass tripe and leave for work.. I’ve a cheap soundbar with subwoofer you can have for free if it helps f*ck with their sleep? Cnuts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You're actually in a slightly stronger position than if the inconsiderate neighbours owned the house.

Talk to the neighbours first, ask them to be more considerate.

Then talk to the gardai. Make complaints every time there's a disturbance. Keep records of each and every disturbance.

Then talk to the landlord if you have a means of contact.

Then take a 3rd party complaint to the RTB.

Be prepared for the Gardai to fob you off with civil matter at every opportunity. (To be fair, it is a civil matter, and they're not a lot of 'official' help, but having a Garda car arrive to the house will often help things quieten down).

Also, mention it to the Council, too. They're the ones who are supposed to deal with noise complaints.

RTB/landlord are the most effective route, though that'll take a tad longer. I do recall reading something before about a landlord getting fined when it went to court because his tenants were troublemakers and disruptive to other residents, but i cant seem to find it again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Pretty high profile case in Cork not that long ago when the landlord let his student house run riot over a prolonged period.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

<MOD SNIP>

• Advertisement

Let the gardai and the landlord know each and every time

• Registered Users Posts: 25,684 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I do recall reading something before about a landlord getting fined when it went to court because his tenants were troublemakers and disruptive to other residents, but i cant seem to find it again.

The landlord gets fined.

But s/he has no legal way to pass the fine on go the tenants, and depending on the Covd-response stage we are in they may not be able to take any action over the tenants.

Another approach is to look for and report every single violation of anything, so that the tenants get so much grief that they want to move. But this won't make you popular with the local guards or council.

Tone is important there, alright

Id suggest polite, regretful but unaware of any alternative when dealing with gardai- you need the record kept to address the issue, etc

With the council, and i hate to say it, the more effective route is zero compromise, total persistent pain in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Excellent advice; sad that it has been learned from experience though

One small thought; if eg the council are slow to react, have a word with EPA.

They do not handle complaints per se but can and will put the accelerator under the council! Learned that with a very difficult case when all the council were doing was sending me little leaflets. And EPA are on call 24/7

When EPA contacted them they were round the next day and it was properly dealt with. The perps got fined even.

OP: also the auctioneer surely knew there was a problem, Feeling for you as that is truly horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

Thanks so much for the replies and useful information.

I will be following the advice and going down the proper route. I asked them to lower the music last night and they did.

Do not know if estate agent knew the situation. "Buyer beware" comes to mind. I am kicking myself I didn't knock in to a few houses before buying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

I completely understand this. I rented a place before in a lovely upmarket apartment. Turns out the lady above me passed away and left the place to her two alcoholic sons. Parties that went on until 8am nearly every night. I left eventually as nothing could be done. Did you buy or rent ? Maybe the neighbour on the other side is having a similar problem and you could approach the council as a group - committee ? Strength in numbers as they say.

Be prepared for the Gardai to fob you off with civil matter at every opportunity. (To be fair, it is a civil matter, and they're not a lot of 'official' help, but having a Garda car arrive to the house will often help things quieten down).

Also, mention it to the Council, too. They're the ones who are supposed to deal with noise complaints.

RTB/landlord are the most effective route, though that'll take a tad longer. I do recall reading something before about a landlord getting fined when it went to court because his tenants were troublemakers and disruptive to other residents, but i cant seem to find it again.

Seriously.
    Complains about gardai fobbing off people and yet knows it actually is a civil matter!

Off to the local district court OP if it continues, the clerk there will tell you how to deal with it, it's under some environmental act from what I recall.

Valresnick wrote: »
    I completely understand this. I rented a place before in a lovely upmarket apartment. Turns out the lady above me passed away and left the place to her two alcoholic sons. Parties that went on until 8am nearly every night. I left eventually as nothing could be done. Did you buy or rent ? Maybe the neighbour on the other side is having a similar problem and you could approach the council as a group - committee ? Strength in numbers as they say.

I bought. Yes I found out that the neighbours are together on this thankfully so I have support, and we can work together on this. I am told the offending party are more "in their own world/ lose the run of themselves" than bad! Also apparently it is not all the time I am told, so feel a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

I will be following the advice and going down the proper route. I asked them to lower the music last night and they did.

Do not know if estate agent knew the situation. "Buyer beware" comes to mind. I am kicking myself I didn't knock in to a few houses before buying.

Been there and its a nightmare. I ended up next door to 3 arseholes that were in a band and when they werent partying all weekend they were practicing music usually starting at 1am. Got tot he point where me and the house owner ( his father bought him the house) came to blows in the street. It settled after that for a while but then started creeping back. I moved 6 months later.

If the previous owner left becasue of noise then they will hardly change for you. Unless they are afraid of you

mcgragger wrote: »
    Been there and its a nightmare. I ended up next door to 3 arseholes that were in a band and when they werent partying all weekend they were practicing music usually starting at 1am. Got tot he point where me and the house owner ( his father bought him the house) came to blows in the street. It settled after that for a while but then started creeping back. I moved 6 months later.

If the previous owner left becasue of noise then they will hardly change for you. Unless they are afraid of you

Apparently previous owner did nothing, don't even know if they approached offending party. It stopped last night when I asked so I can only hope. Yes not good it has been going on 2 years. I don't think neighbours have been firm enough in the past. I plan to take no nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Apparently previous owner did nothing, don't even know if they approached offending party. It stopped last night when I asked so I can only hope. Yes not good it has been going on 2 years. I don't think neighbours have been firm enough in the past. I plan to take no nonsense.

I had forgotten re the court option. I never had to go down that route as the formal letter " advising" them of impending court action always stopped the noise miraculously. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

We had this when we bought our house, neighbours had the street terrorised. We had Gardai around regularly and made regular complaints to landlord we said his tenants were perfect and it was all our fault. They would settle for a few months then start again. They were a family with young kids and would have all night parties, kids would by screaming and crying all night. We would see them bringing crates of beer in. We eventually went to the RTB and the last straw was when they tried to kick my door in a threatened me on my doorstep. RTB ultimately sided with us gave the landlord a lecture and told him he should have had them out months ago. They were given an eviction order on anti- social behaviour grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chicken rugby

Hi, just out of curiousity, where did you purchase the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

IF you're getting the house done up, you can get a layer or two of sound-proofing plasterboard put on the walls upstairs and down. It's not mad expensive. It should help. Make sure to address the gap in between the floors upstairs.
    That's not being defeatist. I usually recommend it to people moving into houses anyway, especially when the walls are thin!
    Then you can deal with the people directly and get them to stop and you'll have a nice, extra quiet, house. You can even have the odd session yourself and won't be bothering your own neighbours! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I would start a spreadsheet, log all noise they are making during un- social hours.

Inform landlord, PTRB, get the other neighbours on board, is there a residents association? If so, tell them also whats going on.

Gardai only will get involved if they are causing a disturbance, anti social behavioural orders/ warnings can be issued.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html#:~:text=The%20main%20legislation%20is%20the,prevent%20or%20limit%20noise%20pollution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement