Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland - 2nd Best in the World for Quality of Life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

so is ireland getting better or is the rest of the world going to sh1t?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Honestly, I'm not surprised and very pleased to see this.

There is no other country in the world I would like to live in at my current income level. (I'd consider moving to the States if my salary would be quadrupled :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP thank you and yes, grand. Beats the UK ..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ireland's class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

A great bunch of lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anyone else find it odd that they were measuring Slovenia in 1990 even though it wasn't an independent country?

Were they measuring Scotland too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Anyone else find it odd that they were measuring Slovenia in 1990 even though it wasn't an independent country?

Were they measuring Scotland too?

While it wasn't an independent country, it was a republic with it's own statistics that could be compared against. Just like California is not an independent state, but it is easy to measure California's statistics (as opposed to getting them jumbled up with the US). Similarly, when independence from Yugoslavia was achieved the following year, it would have been easy to confirm the accuracy of those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Ireland is a great place to live. I don't get all the hate.

Ireland is a great place to live. I don't get all the hate.

Exactly, we even have magical schools with an invisible Covid cloak.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Blondini wrote: »

Like Hogwarts?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

It's pretty impressive when you consider the shape the country was in just a few generations ago. Our parents and grandparents completely revolutionised the country from being 3rd world to now being 2nd best. They made a few mistakes alright but credit where credit's due. We could be living very different lives if it weren't for their drive to stay here and clean it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Misleading headline from that rag.
    Human Development score doesn't equal quality of life.
    It deals with potential possibilities presented by certain factors, defined by rigid criteria, which may life to increased quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wondering how much this is due to a smaller and less concentrated population ?

And if there is a gap between urban and rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There's enough covid threads I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

This post an example of people putting a negative spin on everything in the country.

We aren't perfect but we do a lot of things well.

Seems to be a national hobby for some to exaggerate the negative.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ireland is a great place to live with so many fantastic aspects to it. However, as a person who left 2 years ago, I'm not sure I'll ever return. Sure I miss the people and the craic and it will always be my home, but there is a long list of thing I won't miss and I feel the quality of life I have now just can't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I remember an emigration show on RTÉ with some bossy redhead and her beta-husband moving to Canada because the education system was better for her young daughter. They showed her buying milk in a plastic bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pedro Conceição, the lead author of the report, said Ireland’s improved ranking was due above all to advances in education.
    That is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

These people haven't a clue about the real world if they think Ireland is some great country to live.

1. Most depressing appalling climate especially in the West, nearly 300+ days of rain per year, very little blue sky days.
    2. Limited economic opportunities especially for those without a college degree.
    3. Cost of Housing, a homeless crisis out of control.
    4. Infrastructure, roads and rail are abysmal in Ireland
    5. Healthcare is probably the worst in the EU
    6. Taxation, over 70% tax burden
    7. Corruption and nepotism is rife.
    Anyone who thinks Ireland is some great bastion of the world would badly want to buy a plane ticket are start exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Your findings on corruption are way out of line with international research. And I doubt very much that you are expert enough on the health services in 27 countries to judge which is best or worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

vriesmays wrote: »
    I remember an emigration show on RTÉ with some bossy redhead and her beta-husband moving to Canada because the education system was better for her young daughter. They showed her buying milk in a plastic bag.

This is something that's common in Latin America but Canadians think is unique to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Second best priest,

Mimon wrote: »
    This post an example of people putting a negative spin on everything in the country.

We aren't perfect but we do a lot of things well.

Seems to be a national hobby for some to exaggerate the negative.

This post is an example of people new to AH.

Sense of humour required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

theguzman wrote: »
    These people haven't a clue about the real world if they think Ireland is some great country to live.

1. Most depressing appalling climate especially in the West, nearly 300+ days of rain per year, very little blue sky days.
    2. Limited economic opportunities especially for those without a college degree.
    Anyone who thinks Ireland is some great bastion of the world would badly want to buy a plane ticket are start exploring.

Where should they go and start exploring by way of comparison?

Where should they go and start exploring by way of comparison?

Outside of Ireland for a start, people in Ireland live in an echo chamber and get very defensive when someone points out that Ireland is not a wonderful as they think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Outside of Ireland for a start, people in Ireland live in an echo chamber and get very defensive when someone points out that Ireland is not a wonderful as they think it is.

I don't live in Ireland. I was asking what particular countries they should visit so they could confirm that Ireland is indeed a kip in comparison.

I don't live in Ireland. I was asking what particular countries they should visit so they could confirm that Ireland is indeed a kip in comparison.

America, Spain, UAE, Australia. Chile, Singapore, Japan all areas which have developed economies albeit some with their own positives and negatives. Ireland is just too depressing if you like to go outdoors maybe try get some sunlight, we have one of the most disgusting climates imaginable.

Our entire economy is focused on Dublin the driest part of the country also; so we should just exclude Dublin from Ireland for all intensive purposes since it is unaffordable for the majority of people. Take places like Kerry or Donegal, awful weather, no economic opportunities, appalling infrastructure, high suicide rates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Most depressing appalling climate especially in the West, nearly 300+ days of rain per year, very little blue sky days.
    Very few people actually live in the west. According to atlas weather, Dublin gets 128 days with rain per year. While not great, our weather is actually very good compared to most countries, with little to no extreme weather. It is very rare in Ireland to "die from the weather"
    Limited economic opportunities especially for those without a college degree.
    Welcome to the 21st century. This is everywhere. In fact, Ireland is quite good in this area for those who don't go down the academia route with numerous options to make great money without a degree such as trades, self-employed etc with a very generous welfare system providing low-income earners and non-earners with extremely expensive housing
    Cost of Housing, a homeless crisis out of control.
    The "homeless crisis" is far from being a crisis, mainly self-created and nothing compared to most other countries.

I agree the cost of housing is terrible. however, this is typically because of the same sort of people who complain about "the homeless crisis".
    Infrastructure, roads and rail are abysmal in Ireland
    Roads have improved greatly in recent decades and continue to improve and are now comparable to many decent countries.

Rail (and public transport in general) needs more work, however, this is often down to the same issue that causes the high cost of housing (see above).
    Healthcare is probably the worst in the EU
    Healthcare could be a lot better. However any time a health Minister tries to make even a slight tweak, the nurses and Junior Doctors start screaming and the entire country rows in behind them. And the people who shout the loudest are typically the very same people who cause the high cost of housing above.
    Taxation, over 70% tax burden
    I have no idea what figure you are referring to with 70%. The tax burden in Ireland is actually quite low, and especially low for those low income earners you same to care about so much.
    Corruption and nepotism is rife.
    Compared to where? We are one of the least corrupt countries in the world.

I have travelled extensively and lived in both the US and Germany. While there are things in most countries that are "better" than in Ireland, there are also many things that are "worse". Ultimately, the main/common areas that stand out as lacking in Ireland (compared to peers) are:
    • our lack of national pride
    • our acceptance of anti-social behaviour and refusal to deal with repeat/habitual offenders
    • our desire to maintain a broken welfare system that promotes long-term and even intergenerational dependence on state support
    • proper urban planning
    • a mé féin attitude to taxes/public spending, with "someone else should pay" and "the government should just make magic money appear from the magic money tree"
    • for some ridiculous reason, we don't have water charges (see last point)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is all just barstool opinion and does not contain any single facts. Not one.

I like the climate here. Not as bad as you make out. No extremes and you can always venture outside into countryside and mountains. Clothing is key.
    Today was a beautifully mild, calm and sunny day in Co Wicklow.

Uneducated people having less opportunities is the way of the world nowadays.

Roads are fantastic here. New modern motorways everywhere. Local roads improved too. Just drive over the border to the UK and see the difference.

Homeless "crisis" which I don't think it is, is nothing to do with price of houses.

Healthcare in Ireland is excellent. The problem is access and the dual tier system but the actual healthcare is very good.

Tax, corruption and nepotism claims you make are all laughable and not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Did you even look at the report which says that Ireland is second best in the world? You can disagree with it, but don't blame us if it doesn't suit your opinion.

Advertisement