Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New floor is creaky

Options
  • 19-12-2020 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi, we got a new laminate (good laminate) floor downn18 months ago. It was put down on an extension.

It made creaky noises and was told it would settle. However, it hasn't and it annoys the hell out of me.

The floor provider said the floor must not have been flat but the builder, who laid the floor, said it wasn't.

That same builder did flooring with different wood in the house, not the extended part, and it is perfect.

We couldn't take up the flooring to check as we would have to do all the skirting again and there is a stove.

Anyone know? It is really creaky, like a small cracking noise. Also is it too late to complaint. We did it last August.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Hi, we got a new laminate (good laminate) floor downn18 months ago. It was put down on an extension.

It made creaky noises and was told it would settle. However, it hasn't and it annoys the hell out of me.

The floor provider said the floor must not have been flat but the builder, who laid the floor, said it wasn't.

That same builder did flooring with different wood in the house, not the extended part, and it is perfect.

We couldn't take up the flooring to check as we would have to do all the skirting again and there is a stove.

Anyone know? It is really creaky, like a small cracking noise. Also is it too late to complaint. We did it last August.

Is that a typo???

Creaking is one thing, cracking another.

If its cracking, then that sounds like the foam used. Some underlays crack , some dont.

My own floor that I laid at home cracks when you walk on it too. Not loudly tho. Its down about 12-15 months and i thought it might settle abit. I think it has, but its noticeable if you listen for it.

And lifting it to change the foam is not something I am considering, I can live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Its cracking more than creaking. Someone else said it could be the floor but if I barely push on it there will be a cracking. I doubt the floor could be than uneven, it was freshly poted cement?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

give us a video, and i will tell you if its like mine, which is definitely the white foam underlay.

Funny thing is i used the same foam in the kitchen and living room.

Living room is a floating laminate floor top quality, on a dead straight level well supported wooden floor
    and it cracks.

The same laminate and foam ontop of a lighter thickness laminate, on a poorer quality concrete floor,
    and this never cracks. Strange.

Advertisement