Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Freesat changes likely post Brexit?

• 18-12-2020 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I have a Freesat capable smart TV (when I say Freesat I mean this https://www.freesat.co.uk)and have it set up with a fake Northern Irish postcode (I am in the south).

Just wondering from you people in the know, if people that have set it up for Irish Republic could have channels removed via software update or something post brexit? I know that the same signal will still be hitting the dish post brexit but I wonder if something will happen regarding (Freesat capable) smart TVs and boxes that could maybe be avoided if you don't allow the software to update? I checked the Freesat website and see no info.

Couldn't survive lockdown if all I had was RTE :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No.

You enter a UK postcode, it doesn't accept Eircodes.

The box doesn't know its not wherever you told it it is. Software updates are done via satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

I imagine I am fine as I am using NI postcode, but on the initial setup of my TV you have a choice of an Irish setup or else a British setup with postcode. The Irish setup loads RTE player App as default, British will allow iPlayer etc. but not RTE Player. There are obviously 2 software versions for the TV depending on what you choose at initial setup.

So the TV would consider consider itself in Republic of Ireland (as you made the choice at the start) and have that info stored if the user set it that way initially. And would get an Irish version of the firmware update for the TV. Just wondering in theory if they could use a firmware update to pull the British channels from any TVs that are set up as being in the republic. I don't anticipate an issue for myself with NI postcode but wonder it could happen to those with Irish Republic setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Freesat isn't available in Ireland by design now. It's just overspill from a satellite pointing at the uk. Of all things Breixt-related, it is probably one of the things least likely to be affected

Advertisement