Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old boiler to new boiler in a tight space

Options
  • 18-12-2020 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I live in a rented apartment with gas heating. I've been here for years and got the boiler serviced every year or so with different providers (whatever company we were with at the time). I've a good relationship with the landlord and I look after switching companies etc.

However, six weeks after the service, the boiler has stopped working. It's a Glowworm Micron 50FF, and is indicating a startup problem with the fan (based on LEDs). I got the service engineer back to look at it and he said the issue could be to do with the pump located above boiler (there's noise out of it that he can't explain) or the fan. As it's a boiler that was last sold 16 years ago, the advice from both him and a couple of companies I've spoken to since, has been to replace it.

Further complication is the space it resides in (the very corner of the kitchen, beside a window). I had a plumber in this morning but his company don't sell a boiler that would fit within that space (375mm max, most seem to be 390mm). He also said a new flue would need to be drilled, which is an added complication with dealing with building management company etc. I've been asked to by the landlord to lead on getting it sorted, and I'm happy to.

So, I have a couple of questions:

- If I get a new boiler to fit that same space, is it possible to use the location of the old flue instead of having to drill a new one? At present, I believe it goes out the back of the boiler, rather than above.

- Should I get a plumber in to attempt to service both the pump and boiler to see if we can get it going to last out the winter and then switch it? Could end up being expensive as it's effectively repair + replace.

Would appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Its a rented apartment so its the problem of the landlord
    He should take care of the boiler , not you specially if it has to be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Its a rented apartment so its the problem of the landlord
    He should take care of the boiler , not you specially if it has to be replaced

I've been asked to lead on it and am prepared to. Will be consulting them on quotes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Could you post the photos?

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Could you post the photos?

Done, thanks. Should have done that originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Given that it is on an external wall, it’s hard to see why there would be any great variation for the new flue. (Unless there is a compliance issue, in terms of clearances)

Baxi might have something a bit smaller than standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The emersion has no cover over the electrical connections, this should be sorted ASAP too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

It should be very easy to see if it's pump or fan by a competent repair man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

The emersion has no cover over the electrical connections, this should be sorted ASAP too

Great spot and advice
    I see it just under the top shelf on the right hand side

Will get that sorted alright. Wasn't aware of it before, thanks.

I got the boiler going again yesterday. WD40 on the fan brought it back to life. Was careful to isolate the electrical supply beforehand. Surprised that the boiler service guy didn't try that. :confused: Will likely need replacing in the new year anyway, but would be great if it keeps going for a couple of months.

Thanks for the help folks.

Advertisement