Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christy Ring: Man and Ball (RTE One)

Options
  • 17-12-2020 11:19pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Documentary about Christy Ring starting just now, from the same crowd who made that excellent three part doc on Hurling a few years ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Donal og has a serious grá for Christy. The David Beckham of Cork:p

Not as good as the TG4 2004 documentary IMO. So far.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Don't think he'd get on a modern team with a belly like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭kksaints

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    Not as good as the TG4 2004 documentary IMO. So far.

Second part has been better, the archive footage is great but the juxtaposition of modern footage when talking about his childhood was poor I thought.

I enjoyed seeing Patrick Horgan use the remake of Christy's hurl.

Ring would lose the belly easily if needs be :) He'd be a great in any era.

Going off topic but goalie passing to corner back, who solos a few yards and passes to wing back who fires over the bar doesn't do it for me. I miss ground hurling and spontaneity. All programmed now.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Second part has been better, the archive footage is great but the juxtaposition of modern footage when talking about his childhood was poor I thought.

Cartoon drawings of CuChulainn etc over used a little.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

"Second was last for Christy"

Had something in common with Ricky Bobby from Talladega Nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭kksaints

Cartoon drawings of CuChulainn etc over used a little.

Yeah and random clips of children playing hurling. But the bits about Ring and the archive footage were very interesting.

Ring and Nicky Rackard gone before their time in their 50s. RIP

Teary near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thought Donal O’ Grady didn’t look very well at all - very gaunt looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I thought it was superb, small gripes about the cartoony bits aside.

The last part documenting how tough it was for him to retire, subsequently doing so and his life and death thereafter was beautiful and emotional. Teary myself.

leahyl wrote: »
    Thought Donal O’ Grady didn’t look very well at all - very gaunt looking

Thought exactly the same. Aged a lot. Looks older than his 66. Hope it's not an illness.

I thought it was superb, small gripes about the cartoony bits aside.

The last part documenting how tough it was for him to retire, subsequently doing so and his life and death thereafter was beautiful and emotional. Teary myself.

Imagine Cork asked him back in 1966 (where he woukl have won his 9th) and he would be turning 46 that year!

I felt his last interview from 1979 should have been shown, the bit about the best hurlers still to come especially.

He's eyes are sparkling in it. He looks so contented with who he is and where he is in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I really enjoyed it, being a proud corkonian myself! My mum has a story about Christy, when she was really young he used to drive a delivery van for shell oil and would often be out around where she lived and one day my nan, who was from Tipperary, told my mum to go outside and ask him “Are you the man that hit Tommy Doyle?”, so she did and Christy just smiled at her - she always tells that story :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

thought it was terrible overall. too much ****e showing footage of current primary schools etc ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭corks finest

2smiggy wrote: »
    thought it was terrible overall. too much ****e showing footage of current primary schools etc ..

Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭corks finest

Loved it big time, and that song was blaring in the Creggan estate, Derry in the early 80 s after I had a few scoops on a Friday night, that and the first Cork brigade
    The banks
    And beautiful city

• Advertisement

That Theo Dorgan is one ignorant two ends of a boll*x. Calling Ring 'a dogged ordinary man' because he drove an oil lorry.

Then he spouts his usual verbal diarhoea, Ring was like part of the 'Arthurian Legends'. BS, king Arthur was English. Ring was like a legend from the Red Branch Knights or the Fianna. Arthurian legend my backside.

RTE always wheel out Dorgan, I met him and he's an obnoxious sh*t.

Advertisement