Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe place to leave post?

Options
  • 17-12-2020 8:56pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In my apartment block post (letters and small packages) is delivered through a letterbox embedded in a window next to the main entrance. The post then sits inside the window unattended. First question, is this acceptable or does better provision have to be made in apartment blocks?

I am asking because today a tracked international package that is a Christmas present was delivered here by An Post for me, when I checked it was gone (presumably stolen by somebody from another apartment in the block). This is now the second time this has occurred, as it has happened to somebody else here as well. Is there essentially nothing I can do to stop this happening?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Apartments should have a common entrance and within the common entrance, a series of secure post boxes for each apartment.

Most MC’s will give a key of the main door to the post office for the post man to open. I’m not sure if there’s a law, rule or regulation to enforce this other than good practice.

My advice would be to get everything delivered to your parents or someone else you trust. Not the best but you can’t keep taking the risk of parcels going missing.

Have you spoke to the MC about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No chance I would get post especially important post sent to a rented apartment.

Family home only or work if available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

If possible have stuff delivered to your workplace (check if feasible or allowed). It makes sense if you work full-time to have it delivered to where you KNOW you will be, assuming you have a base location.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I can usually deliver to work but that is currently forbidden with Covid.
    Gumbo wrote: »
    Apartments should have a common entrance and within the common entrance, a series of secure post boxes for each apartment.

Most MC’s will give a key of the main door to the post office for the post man to open. I’m not sure if there’s a law, rule or regulation to enforce this other than good practice.

My advice would be to get everything delivered to your parents or someone else you trust. Not the best but you can’t keep taking the risk of parcels going missing.

Have you spoke to the MC about it?

My management company couldn't even get me another key for the front door, they are a shambles. It's a key that can't be duplicated without permission obviously, and neither the MC nor the lock smith had the information to make more. This went on for like a year. But must try again asi assume at some point they have to sort that. No workmen can ever get in or people to read meters etc, and other people living here will need new ones too.

Aside from that, there are no postboxes in the apartment, and I doubt there will be. They don't even fix reported problems like lights in common areas for an obscene amount of time, or some issues with apartments. Some things they do sort out fast. I will be reporting that things have started to go missing to them tomorrow and probably ask other residents have their things gone missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

listermint wrote: »
    No chance I would get post especially important post sent to a rented apartment.

Family home only or work if available.

What difference is a rented apartment vs an owner occupied one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My management company couldn't even get me another key for the front door, they are a shambles. It's a key that can't be duplicated without permission obviously, and neither the MC nor the lock smith had the information to make more. This went on for like a year. But must try again asi assume at some point they have to sort that. No workmen can ever get in or people to read meters etc, and other people living here will need new ones too.

Aside from that, there are no postboxes in the apartment, and I doubt there will be. They don't even fix reported problems like lights in common areas for an obscene amount of time, or some issues with apartments. Some things they do sort out fast. I will be reporting that things have started to go missing to them tomorrow and probably ask other residents have their things gone missing.

Sounds like an MC struggling to get money of it's members. I doubt they'll be splashing out on separate letter boxes if they can't maintain the basics.

You can report the theft to the Gardaí but unless the MC install CCTV, with the related costs and GDPR issues, the stealing will continue and even with CCTV it might not stop stealing of post, how do you prove that a person took the wrong letter from a pile of letters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

What is the point reporting it to the Gardai? Of all the things they don't give 2 fúcks about, a few missing letters will be bottom of the couldn't care less pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When I had a similar problem An Post suggested I collect my post from the post office. Wondering if that is still possible? It would be safest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not aware of any legal requqirement, beside the one to have a letterbox which the postal-delivery worker can access.

Personally I get all parcels sent to Parcel Motel. Costs, but worth it for the safety/convenience.

Advertisement