Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Image licence

Options
  • 17-12-2020 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

Not my area of expertise, so hopefully someone out there might be in a position to point me in the right direction.

100% of my work is editorial images, but I have been contacted and some images are requested for usage in an upcoming documentary , does anyone know what I should be aware of, any potential pitfalls , it's would be effectively giving away copyright to those individual frames for a period of time, do I need permission from the people photographed for the image to be used in a documentary (these frames were never sent out or published) .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Google "model release form", there's a few downloadable standard ones that you can get subjects to fill out. Usually is't cool if you've got permission to photograph people. The only hassle I've had from people are the ones I sort of knew would cause hassle and had it covered.

Best of luck, and congrats on your images being chosen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If I understand correctly, you have been supplied these images as stock rather than them being your own photo's?

If so then the rights should have been established when placed into stock. This would just be usage which requires license like any other commercial contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

They are my images, taken a number of years ago, but not distributed .

I received an email from a company seeking the image for usage in a documentary, I had to manually trawl through images from 2014/2015 to locate the images.

The documentary people wish to licence the images for a number of years across all platforms, what I'm concerned about are any possible issues that might arise from an image being in a used in a documentary (I understand its uses and limitations within editorial usage because it's my normal source of income) .

I have quoted close to €5k for the images, because I feel it's effectively renting the copyright to those frames for a period of years, I need to be 100% that the person photographed is the person required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Google "model release form", there's a few downloadable standard ones that you can get subjects to fill out. Usually is't cool if you've got permission to photograph people. The only hassle I've had from people are the ones I sort of knew would cause hassle and had it covered.

Best of luck, and congrats on your images being chosen.

Images required are unlikely to sign a model release, especially as the pics were taken 5yrs ago, I'm not even sure they are still in the country, I know for certain one of them has died.

They have asked for a few different images of people.

Advertisement