Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ham in slow cooker and then bake?

Options
  • 16-12-2020 11:56pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭


    I adore baked ham and had planned to boil and then bake (as per mammy yellowhen's instructions). But I realise I don't have a pot big enough and can't seem to find one to buy. If I slow cooked it would it be too tender and crumbly to then glaze and bake do you think?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop


    yellow hen wrote: »
    I adore baked ham and had planned to boil and then bake (as per mammy yellowhen's instructions). But I realise I don't have a pot big enough and can't seem to find one to buy. If I slow cooked it would it be too tender and crumbly to then glaze and bake do you think?

    It'll be fine, I do it all the time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen


    It'll be fine, I do it all the time.

    Brilliant, thanks. Do you stop slow cooking before it gets to the stage where you could pull it with a fork? Do you mind me asking what you slow cook it in (liquid wise)?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭con747


    yellow hen wrote: »
    I adore baked ham and had planned to boil and then bake (as per mammy yellowhen's instructions). But I realise I don't have a pot big enough and can't seem to find one to buy. If I slow cooked it would it be too tender and crumbly to then glaze and bake do you think?

    If near a Homestore and More they have this https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/pots-pans/dynamic-everyday-stockpot-with-lid-26cm/073004.html It is cheap but will do the job if the size is right. I have one and use it a lot for stews and soups. 11 litres capacity.
    I did change the lid handle on it though, not the best when lifting when it gets hot.

    Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.



  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen


    con747 wrote: »
    If near a Homestore and More they have this https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/pots-pans/dynamic-everyday-stockpot-with-lid-26cm/073004.html It is cheap but will do the job if the size is right. I have one and use it a lot for stews and soups. 11 litres capacity.

    Thanks. I'm not near one but I could get to one. Nice price too. I don't foresee it getting much use other than one annual outing. Going to explore the slow cooker a little further and see if it'll work out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop


    yellow hen wrote: »
    Brilliant, thanks. Do you stop slow cooking before it gets to the stage where you could pull it with a fork? Do you mind me asking what you slow cook it in (liquid wise)?

    Yes exactly, but if I am away for the day I will stick it in low and leave it for 8 hours and just be careful when I lift it. Usually cook it in water with a couple onions. Slow cookers are magic when you are working.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu


    Tesco also have large cheap pots atm


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭phormium


    You must have a huge slow cooker if it's bigger than any pot you have :o

    I would slightly undercook it in slowcooker if you are then going to bake, I certainly wouldn't wait until it's at the stage where a fork can break it up. I often do small hams in my slow cooker and use cider as the liquid, I don't fully cover it though, just maybe 1/3 full.


Advertisement