Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48 sim card not working on iPhone 12

Options
  • 16-12-2020 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

My daughter won an iPhone 12 and tried to put in a new 48 sim card and an error comes up . Stating something along the lines that Apple doesn't support this network. My other daughter iPhone xr was able to accept the 48 sim card no problem. Anyone know what the issue might be or how to solve this pretty please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Where did she win the phone from? Check if it's carrier locked by going to:

Settings > General > About
    Then scroll down to "Network Provider Lock" and see whether it says "SIM Locked" or "No SIM Restrictions"

(this only works on iOS 14, but the 12 will have that).

Have you been able to try another network SIM in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Could be locked, yeah.

I'm using 48 on an iPhone 12 with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭micks_address

rizzee wrote: »
    Could be locked, yeah.

I'm using 48 on an iPhone 12 with no issues.

Thats good to know.. ive iphone 12 pro max that ill be putting a 48 months sim card in xmas day

Is there a way looking in the phone settings to see if locked?

Is there a way looking in the phone settings to see if locked?

In iOS 14:

Then scroll down to "Network Provider Lock" and see whether it says "SIM Locked" or "No SIM Restrictions"

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Misslauraxx

Where did she win the phone from? Check if it's carrier locked by going to:

(this only works on iOS 14, but the 12 will have that).

Have you been able to try another network SIM in it?

Yes a three sim card works fine . Won from a competition. No specific network carrier on it . Even when I start it up it doesn't show up as a specific network

• Advertisement

Didn't think there was a network start-up screen or bloatware on iPhones - should be all generic.

I notice in your first post you mentioned it was a new sim card - have you activated the sim on the 48 website?

Can you try the sim in another phone to see if it receives calls?

Have you the exact error message you were getting when putting the sim in?

Didn't think there was a network start-up screen or bloatware on iPhones - should be all generic.

I notice in your first post you mentioned it was a new sim card - have you activated the sim on the 48 website?

Yeah I tried using an activated 48 sim card and no luck . I will get the exact message as soon as she gets back from school

In iOS 14:

This is what came up when she followed that .does that shine any light ? Not sure what it means haha

This is what comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭micks_address

seems like it is sim locked.. did it come from vodafone or some other providor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Yes a three sim card works fine . Won from a competition. No specific network carrier on it . Even when I start it up it doesn't show up as a specific network

Locked to three. If I remember rightly it's mad expensive to unlock an iPhone on 3,upwards of €100. Also takes weeks. You're better off selling it and buying a sim free one. Less hassle. Or switch to 3 themselves.

This is what came up when she followed that .does that shine any light ? Not sure what it means haha

Yeah, the phone is locked to the Three network. As above, your three options are try to get Three to unlock it, sell it and put the proceeds to an unlocked phone, or get a Three SIM card.

Strange that a competition would give away a network locked phone, especially without specifying it (like, obviously if Three were running or sponsoring the competition, the phone would be locked to them, but that would be pretty clear). Was it something like a school or sports club raffle where maybe the prizes were purchased or donated by someone who maybe didn’t realise? Is there a way to get the competition organisers to swap it for an unlocked version, or the cash equivalent?

If you Google iPhone 12 unlock there’s a few sites that will offer the service OP, I’ve used them before myself without much hassle. The issue is the phone is so new actually unlocking it may not be possible for most third parties right now, phone repair shops etc may have the same problem.

You could try phone Three, explain the situation and they might be willing to grant you unlock through them, I’ve never tried that before but it’s worth a shot!

If you know someone that's on Three a while, request the code through them (get them to say it's their phone) and if they've spent enough/been with them a certain amount of time then Three may give them the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

OP, cutting to the chase, you need to get as much info from the competition organisers to confirm your prize. Once this is done, have the 2 IMIE numbers and contact 3 directly, not easy unless your a registered customer. They will request proof of purchase/win.

ONLY 3 can request an unlock for this phone, it's done through apple servers. NO UNLOCKING service or shop will touch an iPhone locked to 3, absolutely impossible, Do not attempt to get this phone jail broken (unauthorised unlock), phone will lock you out and no one can help after that, plus warranty voided.

To be blunt, 3 and only 3 can unlock this and because its not a straight forward purchase or upgrade, you'll have to supply proofs.

Re why is it locked?, highly likely 3 sponsored the competition.

Good luck but have all your info, not likely to be processed before Christmas I'm afraid.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    OP, cutting to the chase, you need to get as much info from the competition organisers to confirm your prize. Once this is done, have the 2 IMIE numbers and contact 3 directly, not easy unless your a registered customer. They will request proof of purchase/win.

ONLY 3 can request an unlock for this phone, it's done through apple servers. NO UNLOCKING service or shop will touch an iPhone locked to 3, absolutely impossible, Do not attempt to get this phone jail broken (unauthorised unlock), phone will lock you out and no one can help after that, plus warranty voided.

To be blunt, 3 and only 3 can unlock this and because its not a straight forward purchase or upgrade, you'll have to supply proofs.

Re why is it locked?, highly likely 3 sponsored the competition.

Good luck but have all your info, not likely to be processed before Christmas I'm afraid.

Half of this post is utter nonsense and is just not factual at all. Explicitly the part where you say only Three can unlock the phone - that’s just absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Half of this post is utter nonsense and is just not factual at all. Explicitly the part where you say only Three can unlock the phone - that’s just absolute rubbish.

How long have you worked at 3?, I did for 7 years, when you have something constructive to offer, please do come back.

Advising the OP to go to an unlocking shop is not just stupidity but will affect the devices warranty. The OP is welcome to try, but I've given honest an correct advice. Critising same is just pathetic and incoherent.

I will add futther that even an iPhone purchased directly from 3 by way of prepay will only be unlocked after €130 top up and on contract or upgrade, won't be unlocked until 9 bills have been paid since date of purchase.

No reputable unlocking shop will even offer to unlock an iPhone locked to 3

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Locked to three. If I remember rightly it's mad expensive to unlock an iPhone on 3,upwards of €100. Also takes weeks. You're better off selling it and buying a sim free one. Less hassle. Or switch to 3 themselves.

Three sim card in it anyway as she was with three anyways .thanks for all your help

Yeah, the phone is locked to the Three network. As above, your three options are try to get Three to unlock it, sell it and put the proceeds to an unlocked phone, or get a Three SIM card.

Strange that a competition would give away a network locked phone, especially without specifying it (like, obviously if Three were running or sponsoring the competition, the phone would be locked to them, but that would be pretty clear). Was it something like a school or sports club raffle where maybe the prizes were purchased or donated by someone who maybe didn’t realise? Is there a way to get the competition organisers to swap it for an unlocked version, or the cash equivalent?

Competition just stayed 1st prize was an iPhone 12 . I thought it would come unlocked as it didn't state the network. But when I put in my 48 sim card no luck .I'm curious to try maybe a Vodafone card and see what happens

Competition just stayed 1st prize was an iPhone 12 . I thought it would come unlocked as it didn't state the network. But when I put in my 48 sim card no luck .I'm curious to try maybe a Vodafone card and see what happens

You should get the same message as when you put the 48 sim in... It's locked to Three.

• Advertisement

You should get the same message as when you put the 48 sim in... It's locked to Three.

When she goes into network selection it only offers her these options

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you really think that 3 years and 1 month later that the OP still has a problem with the phone?

Advertisement