Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairs to broken garden wall.

Options
  • 16-12-2020 11:01pm

I am a private owner, my neighbours are local authority tenants.

The back garden wall between our homes is in bad shape. It was erected by the previous owner of my house approx 25 years ago. Bricks are coming loose from the top and starting to fall off it. I believe the wall is dangerous, as its also moving slightly. I believe it was split at the bottom when the council were refurbishing next door as they were using kango hammers beside the wall to break up an old patio.

I did flag this to the neighbour who informed the council. The council came out an inspected the wall and said they didn't believe it was dangerous (it is) and they would point the brickwork on their side, not mine (fair enough) but they never did it.

I am prepared to remove the wall completely and pay for it's replacement - but my question is, do I have to inform the council or ask their permission? I am not asking or expecting the neighbours to contribute, they are elderly and in ill-health.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If it's a shared wall in both properties then yes, you need to speak to the council.

Thanks.. I was afraid someone was going to say that. Its just an added layer of complication.

But better safe then sorry. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How did the council convey the message ? Did they get a structural survey? On their advice leave it. If it falls they’ll be in trouble

ted1 wrote: »
    How did the council convey the message ? Did they get a structural survey? On their advice leave it. If it falls they’ll be in trouble

Verbally only. They told my neighbour they'd send someone out to point they bricks, but it never happened. I presume it was someone from their maintenance department.

I spoke to her yesterday and she confirmed she never heard back from them again. Its well over a year ago now, since they inspected the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubhurler4

You could be a long time waiting for the council. I’d say if your neighbour is agreeable to it then go for it.

• Advertisement

Thats exactly it, I don't want to wait on the Council, or for the wall to collapse.

But if I go ahead and pull it down and replace it, the council could probably then come back at me. :(

My brother suggested pulling it down and putting up fencing instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

Send a letter to council informing them of proposed.works. Always have yourself covered in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

If the wall is rebuilt, how would the council ever know? And even if they knew, why would they care? Their property isn’t being affected, it’s not like you’re demolishing the wall.

The existing wall will have to be demolished.

I just want to make sure everything is done above board and legal, so there is no comeback on me afterwards, if I decide to do this.

If the neighours were private owners, I would just discuss it with them and gain their permission but the owners are legally the council.

Which will probably mean a whole load of extra complications as I'm sure they'll have rules about this.

The more I think about it, I'm leaning towards pointing it on my side to strenghten it a bit, and then putting up some nice fencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe the council won't commit to anything because if they do they are liable for the some of the costs.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Maybe the council won't commit to anything because if they do they are liable for the some of the costs.
    They haven't ever responded to any communication I've tried to make with them, as I'm an owner, not their tenant. They've only dealt with my neighbour and she is very evasive on the topic - I think she's afraid they'll tell her to pay half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They can't deny responsibility if they reply.

beauf wrote: »
    They can't deny responsibility if they reply.
    Which leaves me unsure how to proceed.

I'd be surprised if it lasts another winter. Im expecting the whole thing to come tumbling down soon.

Advertisement