Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VFD on woodwork machinery.

Options
  • 16-12-2020 10:36pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I would like to ask the experts a question on VFD.

I have a woodwork machine with two 1.5 hp 3 phase motors.

Quick question.

If I wanted to run these on a single phase supply, would I need a VFD for each motor.

Is there another method to run this machine from a single phase supply.

Thanks,
    K

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kadman wrote: »
    If I wanted to run these on a single phase supply, would I need a VFD for each motor.

If the motors are identical and you want them to operate together as a pair it may be possible to have one VSD supplying both at the same time. A VSD per motor is preferable.
    Is there another method to run this machine from a single phase supply.

No other sensible way comes to mind.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Thankyou,

Idealy running the 2 motors together would be preferable, they are identical.

But i could not guarantee that both motors would be under an identical load.

I assume this would be an issue if I wanted to run them both from 1 VFD.?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

How well it performs would depend on how much of a difference there is between the loads. The VSD will only "see" one load.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

OK. Load difference could be as much as 50%, its hard to guage as there are too many variables.

Advertisement