Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Usage Limits

Options
  • 16-12-2020 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

I just checked my usage stats for the last couple of months and its clocking in at 3.5TB (Up + Down combined).

To be fair I have 3 college students (heavy gamers and streamers) and lots of 4K video streaming + Tidel going on.

I am currently with Virgin 1GB (rock solid once I put the router into modem mode and hooked it up to a OpenWRT box). But will have the option of Siro shortly (and the 100Mb upload speeds are attractive from a work point of view).

Do I need to worry about fair usage limits when I start shopping around or are they even a thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Wow Eir could be charging me an additional 100 Euros a month for going above 1TB a month: https://www.moneyguideireland.com/limits-unlimited-broadband-data.html

Mind you that seems low as you could hit that limit in less than two and a half hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

SIRO has totally unlimited with no mention of a FUP with PURE but check just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

TheDriver wrote: »
    SIRO has totally unlimited with no mention of a FUP with PURE but check just to be sure.

From the link above:
    Pure Telecom used to have a fair usage policy stating that customers could not go over 1000Gb (1Tb) per month. But now ,in Nov 2020 , they say they: – “may rely on the Fair Use Policy where: (a) your usage of Pure Telecom Services is unreasonable; or (b) your participation in a Fair Use Promotion is unreasonable.”
    No figures on limits are given.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'm with pure about a week, I've used 141.778 gigabytes so far according to the fritzbox I didn't use until Tuesday or Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭jos22

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Wow Eir could be charging me an additional 100 Euros a month for going above 1TB a month: https://www.moneyguideireland.com/limits-unlimited-broadband-data.html

Mind you that seems low as you could hit that limit in less than two and a half hours?

Eir removed the caps, if you being with them a few years you need to request they remove it.
    have eir used 6Tb last month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Theres an interesting article on the BBC showing that 4k video generates twice the CO2 emissions of normal HD, and on phones and tablets is of little difference visually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I'm with pure about a week, I've used 141.778 gigabytes so far according to the fritzbox I didn't use until Tuesday or Wednesday.

I burnt through 1.5Tb in a month with pure and nothing was said or throttled. Guy selling it time said there are no limits unless it was very obvious eg apartment block on one connection.

Advertisement