Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Number Dialling

Options
  • 16-12-2020 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Is this a new phenomenon!?

I just had a call from a Dublin phone number, looking for me to partake in a survey about finances and general consumer opinions. I declined and when I asked how they got my number, I was told RND, which I needed explained to me.

I Googled the phone number and it seems it is a market research company, but I find it hard to believe they think anybody they randomly dial will spend 10 minutes of their day discussing financial details.

Here's hoping RND becomes a failed experiment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's how they do opinion polls.

Never get how it works though; can see people giving time for something on politics but often it'll be something that you feel that the companies who get the market research organisation to do their surveys should be paying people to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

imfml wrote: »
    Is this a new phenomenon!?

I just had a call from a Dublin phone number, looking for me to partake in a survey about finances and general consumer opinions. I declined and when I asked how they got my number, I was told RND, which I needed explained to me.

I Googled the phone number and it seems it is a market research company, but I find it hard to believe they think anybody they randomly dial will spend 10 minutes of their day discussing financial details.

Here's hoping RND becomes a failed experiment.

This is how market researchers have conducted their business for years. It's cheap and has a fast turnaround. As long as they can fill quotas that make a representative sample of the population, then the research is robust enough.

One could argue that it would be a biased sample as it's filled by people who are willing to give their time for free. However market researchers are relatively skilled and keep the interviews moving along and are flexible with the truth as to how long interview will take...respondents are less likely to terminate mid way through as they're 'invested'.

Advertisement