Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabling quote query

Options
  • 16-12-2020 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm starting a renovation and have gotten the first quote in. We are putting in cat 6 cables throughout the house. The electrician has priced these per data point. So for example if there are three data cables going to one spot he is charged it as three points (3 cables at e40 each so e120). Same for TV points. Is this normal? I thought it would be pretty cheap to add additional cables to the same spot so the 120e would be very expensive for three cables to one point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I'm starting a renovation and have gotten the first quote in. We are putting in cat 6 cables throughout the house. The electrician has priced these per data point. So for example if there are three data cables going to one spot he is charged it as three points (3 cables at e40 each so e120). Same for TV points. Is this normal? I thought it would be pretty cheap to add additional cables to the same spot so the 120e would be very expensive for three cables to one point.
    It's entirely normal.

That said, I would have expected it to be more like €60 + VAT per point.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Double screened high quality satellite cabling is very expensive to buy. CAT 6 is also expensive and very labor intensive to terminate and test. Those costs look reasonable to me. Regardless you can always shop around. If you find someone much cheaper I would be concerned about the quality of the workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jbarrett1885

Thanks for replies. I should have said that it is for wire only. They won't terminate or test it. I just thought that the biggest part of the work would be running one wire to a spot so adding an additional wire should be a lower cost. Awaiting a couple more quotes anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

Thanks for replies. I should have said that it is for wire only. They won't terminate or test it. I just thought that the biggest part of the work would be running one wire to a spot so adding an additional wire should be a lower cost. Awaiting a couple more quotes anyways.
    Why would it ,, a point is a point

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭3d4life

.... I just thought that the biggest part of the work would be running one wire to a spot so adding an additional wire should be a lower cost. ....

You are not wrong

One cable requires making of ways ( drilling joists, chasing walls etc ) the marginal cost of making ways for a few more cables on the same route is low.

Similarly, the the marginal labour cost to pull in a second or third cable at the same time as the first is low.

That said, €40 for a single point is not enough.

• Advertisement

Is there chasing of walls needed ?
    If not just wire them yourself.

I just thought that the biggest part of the work would be running one wire to a spot so adding an additional wire should be a lower cost.
    The spark will win on some and lose on others. Essentially it balances out. For these reasons no-one will give you discounted extra points at the one location, e.g. a 2-gang switch will be two points.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

2011 wrote: »
    Double screened high quality satellite cabling is very expensive to buy. CAT 6 is also expensive and very labor intensive to terminate and test. Those costs look reasonable to me. Regardless you can always shop around. If you find someone much cheaper I would be concerned about the quality of the workmanship.

Will an electrician patch up the walls properly for €60 + VAT per point? Or would you need to get a plasterer for a flawless finish?

Considering adding to my current points

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Will an electrician patch up the walls properly for €60 + VAT per point? Or would you need to get a plasterer for a flawless finish?

Considering adding to my current points
    Electricians are not plasterers. Don't expect making good in the €60 + VAT. That is your responsibility (obviously depending on exact contract wording, but typically).

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Electricians are not plasterers. Don't expect making good in the €60 + VAT. That is your responsibility (obviously depending on exact contract wording, but typically).

Yeah that’s fair enough, was just wondering. The plan to to get a spark for a day or two and then a plasterer to clean up after :)

• Advertisement

Yeah that’s fair enough, was just wondering. The plan to to get a spark for a day or two and then a plasterer to clean up after :)
    Ideal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Will an electrician patch up the walls properly for €60 + VAT per point?

I wouldn’t expect so. Plastering is a completely different trade.

2011 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t expect so. Plastering is a completely different trade.

Yep, just my ignorance, I’m learning though! :o will just find a local spark and plasterer hopefully.

Hopefully it’ll be a daily rate plus materials rather than a piece by piece quote, but let’s see!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Having gone through my first house and half my second house, sometimes it's the second and third cable that can cause the most problems, it seems a reasonable price for a professional to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There should never really need to be 3 runs to one plate in domestic setups. If you need more than 2 ports use a switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

ED E wrote: »
    There should never really need to be 3 runs to one plate in domestic setups. If you need more than 2 ports use a switch.

Messy set up

Advertisement