Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Gigabox Install Landline not working

Options
  • 16-12-2020 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I signed up for Vodafone Gigabit broadband as I had been on Eir Fibre for the past couple of years, engineer came out this morning, plugged in the new modem to the FTTH OTN and then legged it!

The broadband is working fine with superb speed close to 1000Mbps, but my landline no longer works, it just gives an intermittent beep beep if you lift the handset, if I phone my landline number I just get a number not in service message. What is going on, no one from vodafone explained to me what would happen to my landline and I am pretty miffed as I use it for work!!

Phoned vodafone support but sitting on here listening to rather annoying music for the past 40 mins.

HELP!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Is it possible they switched you to voip? That happened to me last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Well if they did, they didn't tell me, what do I need to do to get up and running and VoIP with this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I'm not 100%, but I think you just need to plug the phone into the router? (I ended up cancelling with them as I wanted my landline kept separate, and like you they hadn't informed me of the switch)

Edit - I ended up with a different phone number after the mess up, because they had cancelled the phone line and it had to be reactivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

I got through to their support team who seemed to be helpful enough, apparently there is a wait time of 2 - 3 days for landline to be cutover, supposed to have the same number and I don't need to do anything else.... we shall see.... it would be nice if they warned of this disruption up front, not great to ambush customers with this on their first day of service...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bauderline wrote: »
    I got through to their support team who seemed to be helpful enough, apparently there is a wait time of 2 - 3 days for landline to be cutover, supposed to have the same number and I don't need to do anything else.... we shall see.... it would be nice if they warned of this disruption up front, not great to ambush customers with this on their first day of service...

If sales warned you then you might not order. They don't want to risk their comission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

This nearly happened to an elderly neighbour today, doorstepped last week, told 45 per month, no mention of landline but welcome letter said cost would be 59 a month. they have an alarm system on landline and it will not work with voip. i CANCELLED.

but when you say " there is a wait time of 2 - 3 days for landline to be cutover," what do you do with your phone??? do you plug it into router? VODAFONE want to get rid of copper.

Please post back as I am intrigued.r

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

swoofer wrote: »
    This nearly happened to an elderly neighbour today, doorstepped last week, told 45 per month, no mention of landline but welcome letter said cost would be 59 a month. they have an alarm system on landline and it will not work with voip. i CANCELLED.

but when you say " there is a wait time of 2 - 3 days for landline to be cutover," what do you do with your phone??? do you plug it into router? VODAFONE want to get rid of copper.

Please post back as I am intrigued.r

If you use phone watch Vodafone will keep your phone line and it'll transfer over like it does if you switch provider. They usually ask you if you have phone watch when signing you up.

Thanks but I dont think it will work with VOIP over FTTH and if the internet goes down your ....... in deep goo. And no one explained but the 45 euro was a killer .

swoofer wrote: »
    Thanks but I dont think it will work with VOIP over FTTH and if the internet goes down your ....... in deep goo. And no one explained but the 45 euro was a killer .

OpenEir offer FTTH(+VOIP from ISP direct) or FTTH+PSTN. If the OLO order the PSTN product then the landline still comes in over POTS.

If you're serious about your alarm use a GSM based system.

The alarm system is by monitor and I think it has a panic button. Out of interest what is a GSM based system?

Could they have kept the PSTN for phone and got FTTH as a package for €45.00..

I am way behind times these days.

• Advertisement

GSM = cellular. You can use the mobile network for Alarms/panic buttons/heart monitors. For alarms specifically its very very easy to make sure phonewatch never get the alert, snip and you're down. Doing the same for a cellular alarm means jamming which is above the level of many burglars.

For bauderline it probably wont be an issue, just connect the handset and go. Three days later and no further posts suggests they got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

ED E wrote: »
    OpenEir offer FTTH(+VOIP from ISP direct) or FTTH+PSTN. If the OLO order the PSTN product then the landline still comes in over POTS.

If you're serious about your alarm use a GSM based system.

ED E, I presume the FTTH and PSTN product would also be a good option for those of us who want to plug our own router i.e. an Orbi into the ONT given the providers will not provide the password etc. for using VOIP with a 3rd party router?

Yeah, that or what Marlow suggested in another thread (never occurred to me though its an obvious one).

A. Try and get POTS alongside - OE dont want this, they want rid of rural copper (rightfully so)

ODP - ONT - switch - 2x gateways

Use the F2000 as an overly featured ATA and then your own CPE for everything else. Its bulky but should be rock solid. Advantage is a bit of moisture will give you a headache with the POTS line (I cannot stand talking on a super crackler personally) but the VOIP should be more resilient. NB: Works because Eir allow two AAAA methods, may NOT work with any other ISP.

Advertisement