Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with new Virgin modem and connection dropping

Options
  • 16-12-2020 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Looking for some help, I’m having issues with my new virgin 1gb service with their new modem( was fine with old modem) basically what’s happening is the connection is dropping for a few seconds while maintaining WiFi connection. If your streaming etc it’s enough for playback to stop. I thought it was only WiFi but seems the same with Ethernet. I got a new modem and the same is happening. I tested it fully this morning while streaming and running a ping to the modem and when the connection drops this is what the ping results show. Request timeout for icmp_seq 570
    ping: sendto: No route to host
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 571
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 572
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 573
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 574
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 575
    64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=576 ttl=64 time=169.916 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=577 ttl=64 time=7.973 ms

I’ve done everything I can think of spilt the networks. Changed channel( no other WiFi around) turned off ip flood detection. I’m going crazy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're not the first to report instability after upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

ED E wrote: »
    You're not the first to report instability after upgrading.

I have have a technician coming tomorrow but as it’s intermittent I’m afraid in case he doesn’t see it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

What I've noticed with VM hub routers is that when the WAN connection drops, it invariably drops the entire LAN too so connected devices can't see each other. I had to get my own router and bridge the modem. I see much less drops these days as drops were usually for a minute or less.

It hasn't fixed VM's problem but it certainly fixed mine. Might be absolutely nothing to do with your problem, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Yeah my lan goes down the same time, ran pings via Ethernet and WiFi to test. Had two Vm techs out today and yesterday told me fairly interesting stuff I can share here. He’s ringing me back today about when the eta of firmware is.... as I said to me me going out buying a 3rd party router is a workaround not a solution which he agreed completely. He’s running the new fw and he says it’s running fine but he doesn’t have the control to push it he’s testing it. It was meant to roll out last month but didn’t.

RangeR wrote: »
    What I've noticed with VM hub routers is that when the WAN connection drops, it invariably drops the entire LAN too so connected devices can't see each other. I had to get my own router and bridge the modem. I see much less drops these days as drops were usually for a minute or less.

It hasn't fixed VM's problem but it certainly fixed mine. Might be absolutely nothing to do with your problem, though.

Advertisement