Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband - Brilliant for first two weeks (90% drop in speed since)

Options
  • 16-12-2020 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

I've recently signed up to Sky Broadband (500Mbps package).

For the first two weeks I was consistently getting speeds between 350Mbps and 800Mbps.

In the past weeks speeds have fallen off a cliff and I can't get more than 50Mbps now.

I've tried :
    1. Resetting Sky Hub.
    2. Rebooting Sky Hub.
    3. Resetting optical terminal where FTTH comes into my house.
    4. Changing Wifi Channel.

Non of the above have made any difference.

I've lodged a complaint with Sky as this is crazy. It's not just a blip either. I've measured at numerous different times during the day for the past week and it's stuck down around 50Mbps now. Are Sky throttling my connection ? Has anyone else had this experience ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Are you on a SIRO connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is going to sound quite crazy, but are your main issues happening on WiFi?
    Are your wired speeds affected?

If they are, where is your router located? And is it near an artificial Christmas tree?

The effect that artificial trees, and electrical interference from fairy lights can have on WiFi is absolutely massive.
    Attenuation and interference that can crucify connections.

If you are on an optical connection, SIRO/FTTH the likelihood of a network issue on the providers side is lower than fttc as it's pretty much either an on/off proposition with the only other real impact being what speed you are provisioned for.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

sumo12 wrote: »
    Are you on a SIRO connection?

No I'm not. It is normal FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

banie01 wrote: »
    This is going to sound quite crazy, but are your main issues happening on WiFi?
    Are your wired speeds affected?

If they are, where is your router located? And is it near an artificial Christmas tree?

The effect that artificial trees, and electrical interference from fairy lights can have on WiFi is absolutely massive.
    Attenuation and interference that can crucify connections.

If you are on an optical connection, SIRO/FTTH the likelihood of a network issue on the providers side is lower than fttc as it's pretty much either an on/off proposition with the only other real impact being what speed you are provisioned for.

Wired and Wifi speeds are both affected. Plus my landline phone (plugged into the Sky Hub) has stopped working. On to Sky Tech support at the moment. Looks like an issue on their side.

No Christmas lights on at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

radar0976 wrote: »
    Wired and Wifi speeds are both affected. Plus my landline phone (plugged into the Sky Hub) has stopped working. On to Sky Tech support at the moment. Looks like an issue on their side.

No Christmas lights on at the moment :)

I was getting crap speeds and got onto them and they said it could be a faulty hub and sent a new one out. Didn't make any difference so i got onto them again and they gave me a IP address to log into the router and change the channel and it got speeds back up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement