Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer switch to control bathroom fan

Options
  • 16-12-2020 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭

Will a 400w dimmer switch be able to control the speed of a bathroom extractor fan?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

clivej wrote: »
    Will a 400w dimmer switch be able to control the speed of a bathroom extractor fan?

Not advisable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Not to control speed - speed controller for that.

But if it's just to switch the signal wire in a timer fan then often the dimmer will still allow this to function.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

clivej wrote: »

Extract rates are prescribed by building regulations..... They're non negotiable

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Not to control speed - speed controller for that.

Exactly, a far better solution.
    But if it's just to switch the signal wire in a timer fan then often the dimmer will still allow this to function.

I would not agree with this approach as the fan is not designed to be installed this way. When dealing with mains electricity I think it is best not to deviate from the manufacturer's instructions. However, I agree with Risteard's point, the fan may "function" if connected this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    Exactly, a far better solution.

I would not agree with this approach as the fan is not designed to be installed this way. When dealing with mains electricity I think it is best not to deviate from the manufacturer's instructions. However, I agree with Risteard's point, the fan may "function" if connected this way.

Sorry, to be clear I wasn't advocating it. Just stating that in my experience it will generally trigger the fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement