Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magento Advice Please

Options
  • 15-12-2020 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Firstly let me just say that I am not a web developer at all!

I have been an admin for websites previously but very straightforward sites and using the likes of WordPress, Weebly, Square space. So very easy to build and make changes, no major developer knowledge required.

As part of my current role I've now been tasked with a Magento site that has 40 separate stores.

The site was handed over to me by the previous administrator and needs a good bit of work.

It's Magento Community version, as I am finding my way around it there are some things I can do and have access too but also a lot that the functionality isn't there or its needs an extension or developer input.

I don't have developer access (nor knowledge) and can only access as a site admin. I believe the community version of Magento gives a more limited functionality and that a lot of input comes from extensions and developer work??

I am frustrated at how limited I am as I want to have the site as perfect and accurate as possible and to be able to make certain changes as required.

Am I right in saying a website of this nature is going to require routine developer input?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I worked on Magento in a previous life. I'd consider myself a pretty good PHP developer and now I work on Android apps in Kotlin and some Java. Magento was easily the most complicated PHP project I've ever come across. It's like an enterprise Java app shoehorned into PHP. I'd say you definitely need a specialsed Magento dev to help you make the exact changes you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Magento is a "big beastie"

If you're expected to manage it then you'd need to have full access.

Advertisement