Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor sanding

Options
  • 15-12-2020 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Hi, have taken a carpet off a timber floor, that has never been finished, and am in the process of sanding.

First image is when I took up the carpet, and second (a long time later) is after sanding once with 40grit

Should I do another run of 40grit, before moving to 80, and is 100 & 120 enough?

There is an awful lot of small details that need to be sorted, like carpet glue in the gaps round the edge, and a number of scratches that I don't think any sanding will sort...hopefully it will be worth it :)

Comments

What finish are you applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

JayZeus wrote: »
    What finish are you applying?

Hi, I'm going to varnish it...translac clear satin, I have 5ltr, and can get more at a good price.

60, 80, 120 now, coat with a medium pile roller and lightly key with 120 or 150 between coats. Watch the sander speed between coats and use a dust extractor or vac to keep the dust buildup on the discs to a minimum as you go. If there's buildup on the discs, watch out for marring of the surface. Easier to slow down the sander and swap discs more frequently than have to keep fixing problems you create for yourself.

Enjoy the bath and give it an hour before you apply any deep heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

tasty wiring

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

tasty wiring

I'd say the other half put it there so there's no sleeping on the job. Not far from being on hands and knees to sliding up against the wall for a bit of a nap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

tasty wiring
    JayZeus wrote: »
    I'd say the other half put it there so there's no sleeping on the job. Not far from being on hands and knees to sliding up against the wall for a bit of a nap.

:pac: it's all a work in progress

Advertisement