Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honor Magicbook Pro

Options
  • 15-12-2020 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I bought the Honor Magicbook Pro and am happy with it as it is an excellent laptop for the money. The one thing that I am unhappy with though is the display, I think I may have got one with a factory error.

The spec says it should have 300 nits and all the reviews I've watched and read said that unofficially it is in the 340 range. I ran a Microsoft VESA Display HDR test and the results state that the "max peak luminance is 270". Does anyone with knowledge of computers believe this to be an accurate test? I have attached the results, sorry but boards won't let me display it in the thread.

Comments

not sure how accurate that app is but read the text on the pic after "WARNING" - says the display did not provide any data, just got default values

so the output there means what if it hasn't tested anything?

I think that you have to cycle through the tests with arrow / page up / down keys and let them run

but a real test is done using an expensive separate device which you're not going to buy for a one-off laptop test

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭64869923

glasso wrote: »
    not sure how accurate that app is but read the text on the pic after "WARNING" - it hasn't tested anything there - says the display did not provide any data

so the output there means nothing

I think that you have to cycle through the tests with arrow / page up / down keys and let them run

but a real test is done using an expensive separate device

Thanks for the response glasso. I had read around a bit prior to posting about this programme and saw this webpage where it says

"You do not need to run any of the tests. All you need to do is tap the Page Down key twice when you see the following screen. You will see the following summary (the attached screenshot). The Max peak luminance gives you the nits value for your screen. This isn’t going to be accurate but the difference won’t be more than 50 nits. The screen I tested this app on outputs 250 nits per the manufacturer so the difference isn’t more than 20 nits in my case."

I took this to mean that the test didn't need to be run as the nits measurement was measured within the software.

I actually went to two comp. shops last week looking for the nits to be measured and they both said that a photometer is rare bit of equipment that's hard to find.:(

screen errors usually come in the form of deal pixels, not deficient brightness tbh

Advertisement