Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Buddy

Options
  • 15-12-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Hi

Hope someone can help. My 12 year old son is a bit of a tech wiz and I don't have a clue how he is bypassing the app.

He has my old iPhone 6s. It is the only iPhone in the house. Nearly every day there is a new iPhone with new ip address. I have the phone included with his profile age appropriate, social media etc banned but it's literally driving me insane.

Does anyone know how I can stop it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Every time his phone is rebooted it'll probably get a new IP address if it's not assigned one on your network. Don't know how you're currently blocking it but you'll have to do so by the MAC address which is basically the unique hardware ID it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Hurrache wrote: »
    Every time his phone is rebooted it'll probably get a new IP address if it's not assigned one on your network. Don't know how you're currently blocking it but you'll have to do so by the MAC address which is basically the unique hardware ID it has.

How do I find out that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Apple added a new private (random) MAC address feature in IOS14 that might also be a factor.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT211227

It should stay the same for your WiFi network though once it joins the first time (I thought toggling it on and off in settings might reset this but just tried my own phone and it seems to assign the same private address each time on my home network).

If he is managing to change MAC address see if there is an option to automatically block unknown/untrusted devices. On my own router (not a Sky or any ISP one) anyone on the guest network or not already assigned a profile automatically goes onto a strict web filter (not blocked but no adult, shopping etc).

dam099 wrote: »
    Apple added a new private (random) MAC address feature in IOS14 that might also be a factor.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT211227

It should stay the same for your WiFi network though once it joins the first time (I thought toggling it on and off in settings might reset this but just tried my own phone and it seems to assign the same private address each time on my home network).

If he is managing to change MAC address see if there is an option to automatically block unknown/untrusted devices. On my own router (not a Sky or any ISP one) anyone on the guest network or not already assigned a profile automatically goes onto a strict web filter (not blocked but no adult, shopping etc).

Thanks it appears he has been wiping the phone constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Android has that privacy thing too, it's annoying when trying to identify devices on your network.

If he wipes it constantly why don't you set the phone up so that he either a, can't do that, or b, if he does all App downloads will have to come through you to authorise.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Android has that privacy thing too, it's annoying when trying to identify devices on your network.

If he wipes it constantly why don't you set the phone up so that he either a, can't do that, or b, if he does all App downloads will have to come through you to authorise.

I thought I had, I even thought I had blocked him being able to delete anything off the phone, including texts. Evidently I'm wrong 🙈🙈🙈

Advertisement