Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine broadband over the air

Options
  • 14-12-2020 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello everyone ,

My partner and I live in Kanturk county cork and we had Eir in the past (pretty slow connection about 20 mbps download and 5 upload).
    Then a year and a half ago we moved to imagine (internet over the air) and now have around 50 mbps download and 10 uploads which is better but still have internet connection drops / big slowness a few times a day . We were wondering if any of you guys had a 3 wifi broadband using a SIM card and what king of speed / quality / reliability you have .

Thanks a lot.
    Clem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I use three as my sole Internet supplier. I average about 30mb down, but it is very consistent. It totally depends on your location though. Test the network speed at your house if you can. Get somebody on the three network to do a speedtest, or pick up a sim and try it out.

They have also just launched their 5g broadband. It will be a game changer. Again its location dependant, but people are reporting speeds around 400-500 down. One guy on a thread here reported close to 1000 (although I am sceptical of that one)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

barry1708 wrote: »
    Hello everyone ,

My partner and I live in Kanturk county cork and we had Eir in the past (pretty slow connection about 20 mbps download and 5 upload).
    Then a year and a half ago we moved to imagine (internet over the air) and now have around 50 mbps download and 10 uploads which is better but still have internet connection drops / big slowness a few times a day . We were wondering if any of you guys had a 3 wifi broadband using a SIM card and what king of speed / quality / reliability you have .

Thanks a lot.
    Clem
    20 down over a wired connection would be a decent connection. You'll find operators over the air are less stable and higher speeds aren't worth it.
    I'd recommend using a decent modem with your wired connection

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭barry1708

TheDriver wrote: »
    20 down over a wired connection would be a decent connection. You'll find operators over the air are less stable and higher speeds aren't worth it.
    I'd recommend using a decent modem with your wired connection

Hi,guys thanks to you both for your replies ,
    I was wondering with 3 I presume I can’t chose my own modem and I’m stuck with theirs isn’t it ?

I was wondering with 3 I presume I can’t chose my own modem and I’m stuck with theirs isn’t it ?

Hi,
    i live just outside town on the nemarket side. recently got a three sim just to try it out in my own router, but it wasnt up to much, only 3-4Mb download, It was the 3 Prepay 20 offer.
    i can't say what it's like in town or the other direction towards mallow, according to their coverage checker where i am only shows 4G outdoors. I've an antenna on the roof and even with good signal it was still poor.

I've been on the Vodafone Simply 4G for the last few years,
    Its been mostly ok, altho over the last few months in the evening it wasn't great, but it seems to be after getting rectified over the last few days.
    Usually during the day 60-70Mb down and 30-40 up.
    300GB for €40 a month and you can buy another 100GB for €10. Not cheap, and have to be aware of the limit, but its the best i can get here.
    right now getting 38.63 down and 30.6 up

have also recently tried the vodafone X in the router, cheaper at €20 , but limited to 10Mb up/down, but you'd need to change the apn etc

edit, sorry , just see there,
    i used the 3 sim in my own unlocked router.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Driver is suggesting you go back to fixed line, which is the right answer. Eir/Vodafone/Sky/Pure/etc over the phone line. That'll be 20Mb all day every day vs dropping massively at peak.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Driver is suggesting you go back to fixed line, which is the right answer. Eir/Vodafone/Sky/Pure/etc over the phone line. That'll be 20Mb all day every day vs dropping massively at peak.

OP, yeah, apologies,
    i presumed when asking about three and coming from imagine that you were coming from a mobile eir package.
    If i could get a solid 20 down on a land line, i'd be on that.
    but my land line was max 4-5 down on a good day,,
    so the mobile worked better here

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

(pretty slow connection about 20 mbps download and 5 upload

Lol i think i just fainted reading that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

I can get over 1000mb on Three 5G in Cork in certain location. Upload and ping very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Yes but the fact is dsl broadband will always be more stable than wireless broadband!!! That is just a fact and doesn't matter whether its 20mb or 1000mb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

robbiep958 wrote: »
    Yes but the fact is dsl broadband will always be more stable than wireless broadband!!! That is just a fact and doesn't matter whether its 20mb or 1000mb

Generally yes, but not always the case.

I had a fixed line with Eir, but because of the distance to the exchange it was constantly dropping. Was lucky to get 1 Mbps download, and it would drop a few times per hour.

I am using 4g mobile broadband and it is rock solid. No drop outs at all.

This is the situation for a lot of rural folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Tzardine wrote: »
    Generally yes, but not always the case.

I had a fixed line with Eir, but because of the distance to the exchange it was constantly dropping. Was lucky to get 1 Mbps download, and it would drop a few times per hour.

I am using 4g mobile broadband and it is rock solid. No drop outs at all.

This is the situation for a lot of rural folks.

Yeah, same here. DSL is is reliable but quality is proportionate to the distance from the exchange. We're way too far to get anything better than 1 or 2mb so am with Vodafone 4G. We're also out of sight from masts to get Imagine's wireless relay. Approx 20mb down here though on a misty/foggy day it gets very sporadic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Yeah, same here. DSL is is reliable but quality is proportionate to the distance from the exchange. We're way too far to get anything better than 1 or 2mb so am with Vodafone 4G. We're also out of sight from masts to get Imagine's wireless relay. Approx 20mb down here though on a misty/foggy day it gets very sporadic

Fair enough, anything lower than 5Mb and streaming etc gets bad. But if I was in a rural environment and had 20Mb ADSL/VDSL or wireless, I think I'd get the 20Mb. At least FUP etc is a lot more favourable and weather doesn't affect it. A decent own modem will prob push another few Mb out of it.

Advertisement