Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripping RCD

Options
  • 14-12-2020 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Had a quick look at my neighbours house this evening but I have no test gear etc so difficult to diagnose fault.

Think I narrowed it down to heating circuit, I disconnected a hub heating thermostat from the fused spur and was able to reset the breaker and RCD.

Is it possible that these controllers develop a fault that will trip it out?

He currently know has no heating.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Tripping RCD would indicate leakage to earth. A digital thermostat itself would typically be an unlikely contender - but you mention a hub version, so it possibly has an earth connection? If it didn’t have an earth connection, as most stats don’t, it in itself could really be discounted as a cause.

Possibly when removing the stat, you disconnected equipment downstream such as pumps/valves/boiler? These would be higher risk candidates for earth leakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Tripping RCD would indicate leakage to earth. A digital thermostat itself would typically be an unlikely contender - but you mention a hub version, so it possibly has an earth connection? If it didn’t have an earth connection, as most stats don’t, it in itself could really be discounted as a cause.

Possibly when removing the stat, you disconnected equipment downstream such as pumps/valves/boiler? These would be higher risk candidates for earth leakage.

I removed the pump and boiler from the circuit so counting them out. It’s only when I connected the hub back in it trips straight away. Found it strange myself that this would cause the issue?!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Biggest culprit that I find for such heating problems is the circulating pump.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement