Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you pay to get your hair done?

Options
  • 14-12-2020 9:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m really interested in the prices people pay for hair services. Full disclosure, the reason for my interest is I’ve just moved back to Ireland and have booked an appointment that’s by far the most expensive hair appointment I’ve ever had. I’m not objecting, the salon has excellent reviews and I’m happy to pay for quality! But it did make me wonder what’s average.

In the UK, in a very expensive city in a small salon near the city centre, I used to pay £90-£120 for highlights, a cut and blow dry. When booking my appointment today for a full head with cut and blow dry in a city centre salon, I was quoted €240, so almost double the price.

So just out of curiosity:

What services do you typically receive?
    Is it a chain salon or independently owned?
    Rough location (eg Dublin City centre, other city centre, city suburbs, town, rural location)?

And any other info you feel like sharing :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Faith wrote: »
    I’m really interested in the prices people pay for hair services. Full disclosure, the reason for my interest is I’ve just moved back to Ireland and have booked an appointment that’s by far the most expensive hair appointment I’ve ever had. I’m not objecting, the salon has excellent reviews and I’m happy to pay for quality! But it did make me wonder what’s average.

In the UK, in a very expensive city in a small salon near the city centre, I used to pay £90-£120 for highlights, a cut and blow dry. When booking my appointment today for a full head with cut and blow dry in a city centre salon, I was quoted €240, so almost double the price.

Rough location (eg Dublin City centre, other city centre, city suburbs, town, rural location)?

Ireland: roots tint, cut and blow dry €90ish plus tip €10ish. Suburban Dublin, Peter Mark.
    London: same service £127 plus £10-£15 ish tip. Zone 2, independent salon.

Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

For a cut & blow dry I dont spend more than 35
    If im getting a full head colour the most ive spent is 90 but have gotten it done for less in other places.
    For a full head of highlights ive been charged nearly 300 euro but in fairness to them, the highlights were class, they were so well done. I used to get stopped in the street by strangers and complimented on my hair. Im dying to get them done again.

As for places like Peter Marks, I dont find them to be any better than smaller or independent salons, infact allot of time I think they can be worse, maybe its the high expectations for them because of the brand name + the more expensive pricing but ive always been let down when getting my hair done there. I now go to an independent stylist whose brilliant at what she does and charges very reasonably.
    Im sure if you shopped around you could find something cheaper, tbh I dont think the higher the price the better the quality as far as Irish salons go.. Nearly all stylists have the same training anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

In Peter Mark i get full head, toner, treatment, cut and blow dry for €190.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lisabiscuit

Heya- interesting thread.

I just had a Balayage with cut and Wellaplex treatment for 170e in a Galway city salon. Not full high lights I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Balayage, hair treatment, trim & boho blowdry €170 in Peter Mark in Dublin City centre.

€240 sounds like A LOT. Might be worth getting a breakdown of how they got to that figure.

Welcome home :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

I paid €95 for a full head of highlights, trim, blow dry and curls yesterday with an independent hairdresser in Sligo town.

I have bobbed hair but lots of it. Have paid up to €160 in big salons in the past but my hair is fair anyway and seems to lift easily even without toner no matter what hairdresser I go to so can't justify paying them prices anymore. I do go to a more expensive hairdresser for a restyle cut and blow dry sometimes though and that can cost €50. City vs town prices I suppose.

I used to also pay €100 very 3 months for a keratin/brazilan blow dry but just do it myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Is it bad to say I'm a total cheapskate when it comes to my hair? Maybe because my own hair is just low maintenance, it's dark brown and wavy and I keep it in long layers, so i can go ages without a haircut and a boxdye does me grand. Recently got it cut in a Chinese salon in Lucan for about €40. Getting tempted to change it up a bit and go for a balayage but I cannot justify regular hair appointments costing much more than €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

The Cool wrote: »
    Is it bad to say I'm a total cheapskate when it comes to my hair? Maybe because my own hair is just low maintenance, it's dark brown and wavy and I keep it in long layers, so i can go ages without a haircut and a boxdye does me grand. Recently got it cut in a Chinese salon in Lucan for about €40. Getting tempted to change it up a bit and go for a balayage but I cannot justify regular hair appointments costing much more than €100.

This is why I got balayage to be honest. I have long dark wavy hair that grows really fast. I’m well able to style it myself and going to the hair dresser doesn’t feel like a treat to me, it’s more of a chore. I wanted to change my hair a bit without the ball and chain or appointments for touch ups and getting roots done every 8 weeks. Balayage has done nicely for me as I kept the root my natural colour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Balayage is so tempting but my skin tone means my hair colour needs to be very cool and cool browns don’t often look great :(

I’d love an Alexis Rose colour for the ease of upkeep but the colours wouldn’t suit me, I don’t think.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lisabiscuit

Balayage is the technique the stylists use, so you can pick any colours that you think might suit you. In my younger years I had a post box red on top and firey orange underneath. You just need to find an adventurous stylist. I've gotten older now and keep it my natural brown on top and caramel-ish bits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I was paying €100 in Style Club in Dublin city centre for colour and cut. Now €130 for the same plus Wellaplex in House of Colour in a suburb (can't get into the city on public transport anymore with Covid). I used to pay €160 for balayage in Style Club. Can't imagine paying over €200 unless for 12 week blowdry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I got my hair done the first week of December and it cost me €85 in a local hairdressers in Artane.
    That was colour root to tip,wash,cut and blow dry. I have extra long hair (past the bra strap).I have to get the colour brought through to my ends because I've copper hair and my roots would be far too bright if I didn't.

In the same place when I was blonde and getting roots and highlights done I don't think I ever paid over 120. They do deals and cheaper prices during the week too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I get balayage, cut and blow dry. It cost me €191 in Dublin City Centre with a senior stylist (style director or master stylist would be a lot more).

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

I get an all over colour, cut and blow dry for 80(or maybe 85 or 88 can't recall exact). Independent hairdresser, nice area in south dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Faith wrote: »

for a full head of highlights and a cut etc about the same like 240....south dublin small chain...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

For a cut and dry this year in the same salon in Dublin city I paid €60 or €65 for a stylist and then in help-i-need-a-haircut post lockdown 1 rush I paid €90 for the salon owner. Both times my hair was diffused and air dried which I appreciated, sometimes I feel rushed out of places with any old blow dry but they let my natural curls do their thing. I got the last cut in August and it's still sitting well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Balyage, toner, cut and blowdry for 100ish in a salon in Crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Scattered highlights w/toner and a trim in blackpool cork.
    €90 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mary contrary

Full head highlights cut and blow dry 127 euro in dublin 15 (tip of 10euro not included in this price)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Extension removal, full head of highlights, olaplex, toner, cut, one packet of fresh keratin extensions plus application and a boho blowdry for €245 in an independent salon in Cork city. It takes about 5 hours and I get it done twice a year, with a half head/t-bar in between. I’m a long term client so get it a bit cheaper than the list price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Home based salon (& by that I mean she has a room with a proper basing etc set up) in Dublin 24: Roots coloured, full head highlights, toner, cut & blowdry 65 plus tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Started cutting my own hair so I pay zero..... I do however look like a homeless badger

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

JJayoo wrote: »
    Started cutting my own hair so I pay zero.
    Any tips on how to trim cut and best scrissors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I used to go to Peter Marks and other independent high-end stylists but just couldn’t justify the prices.
    So I found an independent stylist through friends. She has her own salon in her house.

I have long hair and get roots, full head highlights, olaplex, wash, cut, curly blow dry for €55. Plus a tip.
    I buy Revlon dye from the hairdresser supply shop so I can do my own roots inbetween.
    I had to look up a boho blow dry to see what it was! - I do something similar with one of those tapered curling wands or I’ll use the Big Hair brush by Babyliss to make my hair look a bit more sleek.
    Those devices are a godsend to be honest!

OP maybe ask some friends if they know any hairdressers who work from home? You might be able to get what you want for a great price.

Advertisement