Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for sheets of hardwoods

Options
  • 14-12-2020 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm struggling to find any hardwood planks wider then 8 inches, preferably white oak, teak or mahogoney, I've tried online, plenty of sites in the UK where I can get oak sheets around 2400 x 600 x20mm which would be ideal but can't see anything like that in ireland, ideally I'd need something between 10-12 inches wide so that's why I'm looking for sheets because I could thn cut them to size
    Anywhere in Cork would suit best
    Never thought it would be so hard to find bits of wood in ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Ikozma wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm struggling to find any hardwood planks wider then 8 inches, preferably white oak, teak or mahogoney, I've tried online, plenty of sites in the UK where I can get oak sheets around 2400 x 600 x20mm which would be ideal but can't see anything like that in ireland, ideally I'd need something between 10-12 inches wide so that's why I'm looking for sheets because I could thn cut them to size
    Anywhere in Cork would suit best
    Never thought it would be so hard to find bits of wood in ireland

Unless there is a shortage of supply you should be able to get 18 mm faced MDF in all the woods you mentioned except teak/ iroko .Veneer coated Plywood is made but I've never seen it for sale here. Try the local big box stores in Cork.
    Beware that an 18mm sheet is pretty heavy and will need two people to lift it and factor in a delivery charge.
    You should get 10 inch planks in the timber supply yards. I'd recommend JP Corry in Cahir who are not too far from you ( I think they are trading under a different name now ) Not familiar with Cork, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

recipio wrote: »
    Unless there is a shortage of supply you should be able to get 18 mm faced MDF in all the woods you mentioned except teak/ iroko .Veneer coated Plywood is made but I've never seen it for sale here. Try the local big box stores in Cork.
    Beware that an 18mm sheet is pretty heavy and will need two people to lift it and factor in a delivery charge.
    You should get 10 inch planks in the timber supply yards. I'd recommend JP Corry in Cahir who are not too far from you ( I think they are trading under a different name now ) Not familiar with Cork, sorry.

Thanks for reply but looking for solid wood not mdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Sounds like you are looking for engineered wood panels.

I have only ever used solid pineboard, so not familiar with any supplier of
    hardwood engineered panels in Cork, sorry.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

I work in the Timber Industry but not in Ireland, Most hardwood would come in a max of 300. Unless you can buy them and laminate i think it would be hard enough to find. You'd be talking old growth trees to achieve that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Abbey Woods in Cork might have what you need, Noyeks sell laminated solid Oak, and deliver countrywide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Ikozma wrote: »
    Thanks for reply but looking for solid wood not mdf

Well, you can buy solid wood or you can buy veneered sheets. There is no product known as ' Hardwood sheets' ( Pineboard is the only exception and that is only 14 mm thick)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭dathi

http://www.woodworkers.ie/worktops_solid/solidwood_worktops.shtml

would solid wood kitchen worktop be of any use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

dathi wrote: »
    http://www.woodworkers.ie/worktops_solid/solidwood_worktops.shtml

would solid wood kitchen worktop be of any use

Those worktops would do the trick actually, thanks for that

Advertisement