Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Men Still Like to Wear Pork Pie Hats?

Options
  • 14-12-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Greetings!

Christmas is coming, and I am purchasing a few gifts for my male colleagues. Though we usually exchange trendy outfits but this time I am thinking to gift them hats. However, I was confused between distinct hat types, and pork pie hats attracted me due to their unique appearance.

Although these hats were primary worn by the British and American ladies in 1890s but we also noticed these hats got much popularity among men in 1920s when silent film star Buster Keaton started to wear these hats. According to my husband, these hats would look old-fashioned, but I believe with advanced designs like these ones https://taylorhats.com/collections/mens-pork-pie-hats and some trendy outfits they would look perfect piece for men in their forties. Yes, almost all of my colleagues are their forties, late forties and fifties. I think you would like this unique gift. Do you think pork pie hats are still in style?

Secondly, with hipster style, https://www.centralcasting.com/what-is-hipster-style/ outfits the idea to wear pork pie hats is also marvellous. What do you think? I would also be grateful if you share your thoughts if you have already used the pork pie hats. You can also suggest Dublin based stores that offer pork pie and some other trendy hats.

Moreover, you can also share your suggestions for leather, tweed check and cotton mix hats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Greetings!

Christmas is coming, and I am purchasing a few gifts for my male colleagues. Though we usually exchange trendy outfits but this time I am thinking to gift them hats. However, I was confused between distinct hat types, and pork pie hats attracted me due to their unique appearance.

Although these hats were primary worn by the British and American ladies in 1890s but we also noticed these hats got much popularity among men in 1920s when silent film star Buster Keaton started to wear these hats. According to my husband, these hats would look old-fashioned, but I believe with advanced designs like these ones https://taylorhats.com/collections/mens-pork-pie-hats and some trendy outfits they would look perfect piece for men in their forties. Yes, almost all of my colleagues are their forties, late forties and fifties. I think you would like this unique gift. Do you think pork pie hats are still in style?

Secondly, with hipster style, https://www.centralcasting.com/what-is-hipster-style/ outfits the idea to wear pork pie hats is also marvellous. What do you think? I would also be grateful if you share your thoughts if you have already used the pork pie hats. You can also suggest Dublin based stores that offer pork pie and some other trendy hats.

Moreover, you can also share your suggestions for leather, tweed check and cotton mix hats.

Do you work in fashion? Genuinely interested because never heard of anyone buying outfits for their colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Mimon wrote: »
    Do you work in fashion? Genuinely interested because never heard of anyone buying outfits for their colleagues.

I have an interest in fashion, but my colleagues are not office mates for me. They are family friends as well, and we have faced ups and downs together. I don't think it is such a big deal.

Also, when I referred outfits, then it doesn't mean I buy expensive formal dresses or suits for them. It could be a t-shirt or jersey. I hope you can understand it. Now, if you have some experience of buying hats or some idea about pork pie hats, then you can share your views here. You can also suggest hats other than pork pie or stores which deals in hats in Dublin, but they should be unique ones. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I believe a hat is a very personal item, and a pork pie in particular has to fit the user in the mind's eye. So, IMO, it may be unwise to buy an item that may not fit a person's style, even if you managed to get their measurements right. I would also not consider buying the same style hat for everyone on your list, but that is only my opinion.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I believe a hat is a very personal item, and a pork pie in particular has to fit the user in the mind's eye. So, IMO, it may be unwise to buy an item that may not fit a person's style, even if you managed to get their measurements right. I would also not consider buying the same style hat for everyone on your list, but that is only my opinion.

I respect your opinion but I am willing to try something different. That's why I am thinking of traditional British hats like these pork pie hats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I respect your opinion but I am willing to try something different. That's why I am thinking of traditional British hats like these pork pie hats etc.

Def. You need to go with your gut. Power to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I think there is potential for that gift to be thrown in the closet and forgotten about. its a bit like the hip flask for the grooms party at a wedding, its soon abandoned and not used. Its also veering into fedora/m'lady territory although on an older gentleman perhaps that connection can be avoided

You have to be a certain person to pull them off and if your mates are that type of person the chances are they would have one of these already if it suited them

Do your friends wear hats at all (Baseball even)
    I agree about them being a personal thing. Id stick with something like a shirt or sweather but perhaps from a label they wouldn't normally wear. Tie clips are somewhat done but they do come in useful in formal wear, same to for lapel pin/flower. One of the most popular items I wore with a suit was a collar bar so perhaps a good quality one will be a good gift. Not an everyday items but it certainly give a little something extra to a suit and tie

Leather porkpie hat screams of Blackie Connors in Glenroe

seannash wrote: »
    I think there is potential for that gift to be thrown in the closet and forgotten about. its a bit like the hip flask for the grooms party at a wedding, its soon abandoned and not used. Its also veering into fedora/m'lady territory although on an older gentleman perhaps that connection can be avoided

You have to be a certain person to pull them off and if your mates are that type of person the chances are they would have one of these already if it suited them

Do your friends wear hats at all (Baseball even)
    I agree about them being a personal thing. Id stick with something like a shirt or sweather but perhaps from a label they wouldn't normally wear. Tie clips are somewhat done but they do come in useful in formal wear, same to for lapel pin/flower. One of the most popular items I wore with a suit was a collar bar so perhaps a good quality one will be a good gift. Not an everyday items but it certainly give a little something extra to a suit and tie

Leather porkpie hat screams of Blackie Connors in Glenroe

I totally agree we should gift items that are best fit for daily use. No doubt, tie clips sound very attractive but in this strict lockdown, I don't think they would use it. Probably, beanie hats could be a good option in this winter season? These could also be used for both indoor and outdoor purposes. What do you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I totally agree we should gift items that are best fit for daily use. No doubt, tie clips sound very attractive but in this strict lockdown, I don't think they would use it. Probably, beanie hats could be a good option in this winter season? These could also be used for both indoor and outdoor purposes. What do you say?

I'd say Beanie is a good shout.
    On the topic of the tie clip/collar bar not getting use.ts true they aren't an everyday item but they are also something people never really consider until they have a wedding to attend. The lock down will pass and when it does it could be a real thoughtful gift.
    But beanies are a good shout I think.
    Check out some online skate shops (I know it might seem not to cater for their age demographic but they do have some real nice casual outerwear)
    Something like this might work?

https://www.skatehut.co.uk/clothes/beanies/barts-reissy-beanie-navy.htm

Fisherman style beanies are possibly the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe a cap? They are always in fashion and you could do the whole Peaky Blinders big cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

As an occasional hat wearer (flat cap / newsboy style), the problem with buying those type of rigids hats come down to the sizing. I have a larger head and always need the largest size. Any hat I've tried on in a shop didn't fit, and I had to order online.

So you'll need to know what size your friends' heads are in advance, which will sort of ruin the surprise. If you still want to go down this road, I'd recommend Brixton as a brand, and the Village Hats site: hatsandcaps.co.uk.

A beanie is a good idea. I got a really nice wool beanie from Selected Homme, fits really well and looks good too.

Fjallraven also do nice beanies, bit more expensive.

• Advertisement

As an occasional hat wearer (flat cap / newsboy style), the problem with buying those type of rigids hats come down to the sizing. I have a larger head and always need the largest size. Any hat I've tried on in a shop didn't fit, and I had to order online.

So you'll need to know what size your friends' heads are in advance, which will sort of ruin the surprise. If you still want to go down this road, I'd recommend Brixton as a brand, and the Village Hats site: hatsandcaps.co.uk.

A beanie is a good idea. I got a really nice wool beanie from Selected Homme, fits really well and looks good too.

Fjallraven also do nice beanies, bit more expensive.

I have seen different caps at Village Hats but these beanie hats are awesome. Especially I love these colourful Fjallraven beanie caps and yes, I would love to get few from here for personal use. :D

Advertisement