Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ACCA Self study V using approved learning partner

• 14-12-2020 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi guys, I have just sat my first ACCA exam. I had registered with Griffith College, but I didn't find the tutor particularly good and they didn't seem well set up for online learning, so I ended up just doing self study. The subject I sat was fairly familiar to me due to previous study with ATI, so I didn't find it difficult to self study. I am hoping to sit F5 and F8 in March and wondering if I should carry on with self study or sign up to online lectures? The content of F5 might be familiar to me from ATI, but F8 will be fairly new. Is it possible to purchase text books/past exams separately without going through a learning partner?

Just wondering which avenue most people take as I don't want to waste time and money if I can help it. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭ianuss

It's certainly doable up to the optional level papers, imo. The only thing I would say is that if you go the self-study route you can miss out on some exam technique pointers.

You can have good subject knowledge and still fail. I got 49% in F8 and thought I had passed it easily. After reading some examiners reports I realised that my answers weren't scoring enough marks. I knew enough to pass but my answers weren't succinct or concise enough. When I was making a suggestion or a recommendation based on a scenario in the question I wasn't talking through how my suggestion would actually fix whatever the problem was. So I might have gotten half a mark for a suggestion but nothing for the explanation. So it's little things like that where tuition can help you get the pass.

Acowtancy might be a good middle ground. I used it for P2 & P3 and passed both. The lectures are more bite-sized than traditional 1-2 hr lectures. His focus is on knowing the basics really well and then applying your knowledge to the scenarios. Then practice questions as much as you can.

Advertisement