Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to reair leak on stippled ceiling

Options
  • 14-12-2020 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi, I live in an apartment and had a leak recently from the balcony upstairs which extends in about a metre above my ceiling. The management company sent an engineer to have a look and said they will fix the leak in the balcony upstairs and repair my ceiling when it's dried out.

But I'm wondering what's the best way to repair it, and I want to have all the facts and make sure they do it properly without taking shortcuts. The pics show the damage which extends about 3/4 the width of the ceiling, and there are now little spots of mould appearing.

Some questions:

- to fix it properly will they have to scrape off the stippling?
    - if they do this will they have to do the full ceiling to get an even finish?
    - is there anything else I should insist on to ensure they do a proper repair?

Any tips or info appreciated, tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

stipple can be sanded back easily with an electric sander. depending on finish under neath it can be painted or just skimmed to a flat nice finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

You can’t buy artex anymore. Best advise is dry brush affected area. Use stain block. Re-coat ceiling with white emulsion. If some stipple breaks away, mix up poly filler till and apply with brush and use a dry brush dabbing method to try match it in. Let polyfiller dry and touch up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

listermint wrote: »
    stipple can be sanded back easily with an electric sander. depending on finish under neath it can be painted or just skimmed to a flat nice finish.

Artex stipple can contain small traces of chrysotile which is an ACM.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Thanks for the replies. Won't this leave an uneven finish? I'm thinking it's gonna be pretty difficult to match and blend in with the rest of the stipple on the ceiling, or can a good painter decorator do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You can achieve a good stipple effect with a long nap roller and some runny plaster.

You'll probably have to paint the entire ceiling anyway to colour match, but it should blend in well enough (especially with matt white paint) that you wont even notice its there.

You can also stipple with a sponge or go mad and buy a stipple pad, but I probably wouldnt bother for such a small area.
    Is the leak cause resolved and is the plasterboard in good shape or will it need to be replaced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Thanks, yes the leak overhead has been fixed according to the management company and they said they'll wait until January so my ceiling will be fully dried out before they fix it.

It's actually a concrete ceiling so I'm hoping that'll make things a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If it's concrete you could be waiting two months for it to fully dry.

Also used BIN primer to seal in the stain.

Advertisement