Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with miniDV tapes

Options
  • 14-12-2020 12:56am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. I hope you can help. I broke my canon mini dv camera about 15 years ago. I replaced it with a harddisk unit.

Anyway. I don't have the following
    Mac
    Camcorder that uses mini dv tapes
    Firewire or apple hardware.
    Video capture cards

What i have
    windows 10 pc with usb A abd C onboard
    15 mini DV tapes.

Can someone help with advice on how to get the information off the tapes please.

Is there a device I can buy what will allow the transfer to a pc,
    Is there a service that charges per tape?

Do I need to buy a minidv camcorder, leads and firewcard for my pc ?

Thank you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

(No affiliation, never used em)
    These folks in Rush for example do it: https://www.njmultimedia.com/camcorder-tape-transfer-dublin/

Super8 etc is hard to do, mini DV is very easy. Normally youd use any old player(camcorder) and a capture device. Firewire was the thing as back then USB wasnt fast enough. A modern capture card can use USB. It might make more sense to have somebody do it vs spending €100-150 on the capture card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This crowd in Belfast will transfer miniDV to DVD. I guess you could also arrange with them to get the files onto a USB key or hard disk or whatever. They seem to have partners all around the country to facilitate dropoff/pickup. Never used them myself, so I don't know what the cost is or what the service is like.

https://www.happyireland.com/video-to-dvd/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭bullpost

Stoner wrote: »
    Hi all. I hope you can help. I broke my canon mini dv camera about 15 years ago. I replaced it with a harddisk unit.

Anyway. I don't have the following
    Mac
    Camcorder that uses mini dv tapes
    Firewire or apple hardware.
    Video capture cards

What i have
    windows 10 pc with usb A abd C onboard
    15 mini DV tapes.

Can someone help with advice on how to get the information off the tapes please.

Is there a device I can buy what will allow the transfer to a pc,
    Is there a service that charges per tape?

Do I need to buy a minidv camcorder, leads and firewcard for my pc ?

Thank you all.

I've used these guys in the past and they are good : http://www.dvdcentre.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

Check adverts.ie. There is a guy offering this service in Marino, Dublin 3.
    name of the ad is Convert your Mini-DV tapes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thank you all. It will work out at about 10 euro a tape.

I think I'll go for this. I've set the brother in law up to do this a few times over the years. He keeps upgrading pcs and ditching the leads and the cards.

I'll get this done for me and if it works out give him the person's contact. He'll appreciate the next capture card more now 😉

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thanks all. I was about to push the button on 10 euro a pop. But a blank or full take is the same price ( I guess they have to check,). So I'm going to borrow a camera to check the tapes for content.

I've picked up a new card now too, c/w lead. I'll probably end up just doing it myself.

Advertisement